- Advanced connected-car technology debuts in 2014 Honda Civic, followed by 2015 Fit
- Display Audio touchscreen brings smartphone-like functionality inside the vehicle
- Next gen HondaLink™ makes integrated navigation more affordable and intuitive with smartphone-powered navigation app
- 2014 Civic with Display Audio first to achieve further integration of Apple's Siri Eyes Free mode for the Honda brand
MARKHAM, ON, Dec. 4, 2013 /CNW/ - Honda today introduced the next generation of connected-car technology to meet the evolving needs of today's tech-savvy, always-connected consumers: Honda Display Audio and HondaLink™. Together these technologies represent the most advanced information and media connectivity package ever offered by Honda. Both new systems will debut on the 2014 Civic, which goes on-sale on December 18, 2013.
Additionally, the 2014 Civic equipped with Display Audio marks the further integration of Apple's Siri Eyes Free mode into Honda vehicles, with Siri operation available directly through the steering wheel-mounted controls when a compatible iPhone is paired via Bluetooth®.
"Display Audio and HondaLink are pioneering technologies that seamlessly and intuitively integrate the power and functionality of a customers' smartphone directly into their vehicle," said Dave Jamieson, assistant vice president of sales and marketing for Honda Canada. "Staying connected to the latest music, information, news, traffic updates, even friends and family, is a must-have capability for a new generation of car buyers."
The new Display Audio interface1 debuts on the 2014 Civic (EX models and above) and will be featured on the all-new 2015 Fit, arriving next summer. Offering one of the largest touchscreens in its class, Display Audio uses the familiar pinch, swipe and tap functionality of a smartphone to access audio, phonebook, media, vehicle information and available navigation features.
Icons resembling smartphone apps are displayed on a 7-inch, high-definition, capacitive touchscreen, making the interface intuitive and easy to use. Standard internet-sourced music and media options are built into the Display Audio interface, with the ability to create personalized stations, tap to "like" songs, and view album artwork directly from the touchscreen. Display Audio also integrates touch operation of the volume (with a quick-swipe adjustment), menu, and return functions for a modern and sleek look. Standard steering wheel controls compliment the touchscreen features as well.
Next Generation HondaLink™
The Display Audio system with next generation HondaLink allows the customer's digital lifestyle to seamlessly integrate with the car and provides access to a world of cloud-based information. The all-new application-based platform connects customers to online content both inside and outside the car, all powered by their smartphones. At launch timing, iPhone 5, 5S and 5C will benefit from all the features HondaLink offers. Compatible Android smartphone's are anticipated to become available next year.
Four specialty HondaLink apps provide organization and are a gateway to additional online content:
- Connect App - Provides convenient access for many services including location searches, local weather, messaging, Maintenance Minder alerts, service scheduling by phone, and access to the Owners Guide. Users can tap for weather updates and store favorite destinations for quick routing with the Navigation app.
- Navigation App - For the first time Honda is offering a comprehensive cloud-based navigation app for purchase2 that includes 3D mapping and continuously updated traffic information. As the first navigation app developed by an automaker with mapping data provided by HERE, a Nokia business, this app offers a variety of location search options including search by point of interest, text search, or previous locations. Routes can be pre-planned on a smartphone and will display on the vehicle's touchscreen. Turn-by-turn routing guidance is available through the vehicle's audio system as well.
- Aha™App - provides access to an extensive and diverse selection of audio content across multiple genres and demographics, plus featured new stations, Internet radio, podcasts, audiobooks, news, Twitter and Facebook updates and nearby location listings for restaurants, coffee houses, hotels, weather, parks, and gas stations. Users can tap to personalize stations or add favorites via smartphone or directly through the Display Audio interface.
- Launcher App -Finds and organizes Honda-approved 3rd party apps so they can be quickly integrated into the Display Audio system. Approved apps can be found through the Launcher and shown on the Display Audio screen for easy access.
Additional new features found with HondaLink include HondaLink Assist, which can help provide emergency assistance to drivers. If there is a cellular connection and an airbag deployment sensor is triggered by a collision, the system is designed to automatically attempt to notify an operator, report the car's current location, and allow you to talk directly to the operator. The operator can then contact emergency services if needed.
Siri Eyes Free Integration
Display Audio further integrates Apple's Siri Eyes Free mode into Honda vehicles. Compatible iPhone® users will be able to operate Siri through familiar voice commands by pressing and holding the TALK button on the steering wheel when their iPhone is paired via Bluetooth® . Siri Eyes Free provides for a multitude of helpful functions including:
- Making phone calls
- Reading incoming text messages and sending responses
- Setting up calendar entries
- Creating reminders
- Sending email
- Checking weather
- Obtaining sports information
- Reading notifications
- Receiving and posting Twitter and Facebook updates
Siri Eyes Free mode helps drivers keep their eyes on the road, leaving the iPhone out of their hand and helping to reduce the potential for driver distraction. Display Audio is the first factory installed integration of the Siri Eyes Free mode into a Honda vehicle. .
For additional Display Audio images and videos, please visit www.hondanews.ca.
About Honda Canada
Honda Canada Inc. was founded in 1969. It has produced more than 6 million cars and trucks since 1986 at its two manufacturing facilities and builds engines at a third manufacturing plant in Alliston, Ontario. Both manufacturing facilities are extremely flexible and currently build Honda Civic and CR-V models. Honda Canada has invested more than $2.6 billion in Canada and each year it sources nearly $1.1 billion in goods and services from Canadian suppliers. Honda Canada has sold more than 3.7 million Honda and Acura passenger cars and light-duty trucks in Canada.
1The Display Audio Interface is used for direct connection to and streaming from some current [Apple/Android] smartphones. For safety reasons, always launch HondaLink applications or perform any other operation on your phone only when the vehicle is safely parked. State or local laws may limit use of texting feature, and Assist functions may be terminated without notice. Your wireless carrier's rate plans apply. Please see your Honda dealer and HondaLink terms and conditions for details.
2 App available for purchase for $59.99 through iTunes store.
SOURCE: Honda Canada Inc.
Maki Inoue 905-888-4416