CHATHAM, ON, Feb. 21, 2013 /CNW/ - The Financial Services Commission of
Ontario will soon issue a much anticipated decision on the wind-up of
the Navistar pension plan, more than three and a half years since the
company shuttered its heavy truck Chatham facility.
The CAW and Navistar representatives met with the Deputy Superintendent
of Pensions of FSCO earlier this week on a number of outstanding issues
which have so far prevented Navistar workers from seeing their pension
settlements. The decision is expected by March 6.
"For more than three and a half years, the CAW has been pushing for a
resolution for our members at Navistar," said CAW President Ken
Lewenza. "First Navistar suddenly closed its plant in the middle of
negotiations, and since then it has fought its own workers every step
of the way. The company has left more than 800 people and their
families in the lurch and we desperately need a solution."
The decision on the wind-up of the pension plan is long overdue, said
At issue is the date of the wind up of the pension plan, the early
retirement program in the pension agreement, pension entitlements of
those who retired before the wind-up date of July 28, 2011 and credited
service upon layoff.
Navistar idled its Chatham plant in June 2009, but only announced the
official closure in July 2011.
CAW Local 127 represented Navistar production and skilled trades workers
and CAW Local 35 represented Navistar office workers.
To read the most recent update on the situation at Navistar, please
SOURCE: Canadian Auto Workers Union (CAW)
For further information:
For more information, please contact CAW National Representative Jim Mitchell (cell) 905-441-4546 or CAW Communications Director Shannon Devine (cell) 416-302-1699