OTTAWA, July 24, 2012 /CNW/ - The Canadian Paralympic Committee (CPC) invites applications for the position of Chef de Mission for the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi (Russia), March 7th-16th. This is a volunteer position with responsibilities commencing in October 2012, and continuing through May 2014.
The Paralympic Games are the second largest sporting event in the world, showcasing the talents and abilities of the world's best elite athletes with a physical disability. The CPC is a not-for-profit, charitable, private corporation recognized by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) as the National Paralympic Committee of Canada. The mission of the CPC is to lead the development of a sustainable Paralympic sport system in Canada to enable athletes to reach the podium at the Paralympic Games.
Your application should include the following:
- A resume that highlights relevant experience (maximum 3 pages).
- A statement outlining how you can contribute to a strong Paralympic mission.
- A statement outlining your main reasons for seeking the position of Chef de Mission with the 2014 Canadian Paralympic Team.
- Name and contact details of 3 references.
Please send your complete application package to:
Chef de Mission Search Committee
Canadian Paralympic Committee
225 Metcalfe st., suite 310
Ottawa, ON K2P 1P9
Fax: (613) 569-2777
Deadline: Friday, September 14th, 2012
Applications must be received no later than 4:00 pm (EST) on Friday, September 14th, 2012. Applications received after this date will not be considered. While all candidates are thanked for their interest, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
A complete job description is available on the CPC website here: http://www.paralympic.ca/en/About-Us/Employment-And-Volunteering.html
The short-listing process, interviews and selection of the Chef de Mission will take place in September 2012 with the successful candidate expected to assume responsibilities effective October, 2012.
The Chef de Mission must be available full-time to attend the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games from approximately February 24th to March 18th, 2014. This position imparts a significant level of responsibility and will require a considerable commitment of time, energy and effort.
The successful candidate is expected to provide overall leadership to the 2014 Canadian Paralympic Team Mission, with key responsibilities including: attending a one week Chef de Mission Seminar in Sochi (likely February/March 2013), as well as other site visits as required; participating in regular conference calls and/or mission staff meetings; attending approximately 10-12 weekend meetings, national events, training sessions, selection trials, etc.; and, attending a four day mission staff Orientation Seminar in early Fall 2013. The CPC will cover the traveling expenses to meetings, seminars and the Games, as well as accommodation and meal costs incurred while fulfilling Chef responsibilities.
The ideal candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- Experience and/or involvement with national and international Games and events;
- Proven administrative and fiscal expertise, logistical ability, knowledge and appreciation of the unique physical and mental demands which fall upon elite high performance athletes ;
- The ability to represent the Team in all policy and procedural discussions and/or matters;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Facility with media interviews and public speaking;
- The ability to lead, motivate and foster team building;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with athletes, coaches and team officials;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strategic and operational planning experience;
- Strong problem-solving and crisis management skills;
- Accept the responsibilities of leadership and demonstrate exemplary behaviour;
- Ability to communicate in both official languages;
- Ability to communicate in Russian
- Knowledge of CPC strategic framework, policies and issues related to Paralympic Games;
- Current involvement and/or linkage to CPC (eg. prior volunteer experience);
Thank you for your interest in the position of Chef de Mission for the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games, and the Canadian Paralympic Committee; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SOURCE: CANADIAN PARALYMPIC COMMITTEE (CPC)
Tel: 613.569.4333 ext 243