Reduced Environmental Footprint, New Industry Certifications,
Support for Communities and Youth Highlighted
TORONTO, May 13, 2019 /CNW/ - Cadillac Fairview (CF) is pleased to present its annual Responsibility Report, which outlines the company's environmental performance, as well as support for community organizations and youth-oriented initiatives. Prepared in accordance with the internationally recognized Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards, the report covers activities between September 1, 2017 and August 31, 2018.
"Cadillac Fairview has always taken the long term view of corporate responsibility," said John Sullivan, President and CEO, Cadillac Fairview. "We recognize that the success of our business is intrinsically linked to the environmental, social and economic well-being of the communities we serve today, and aspire to positively transform for a brighter future."
Recognizing the connection between the neighbourhoods served by its properties and its own future growth, CF continues to invest in the well-being of its local communities through a range of philanthropic initiatives which promote employee volunteerism, as well as corporate partnerships which support health and social services organizations.
"As an industry leader, we have a responsibility to partner with others to develop solutions that will benefit the broader community. We take this responsibility seriously and are honoured to have this role to play," added Mr. Sullivan. "Through our purpose and partnerships, we're committed to making a meaningful difference in the lives of others, especially Canadian youth who are the next generation of leaders."
This reporting period marks ten years of CF's pioneering Green at Work® sustainability program. In 2008, CF launched this industry leading program across the organization and over the past decade the company has successfully embedded environmental sustainability into its organizational culture. Through collaboration within departments and business partners, CF has significantly reduced energy and water consumption, and improved waste diversion while achieving significant greenhouse gas reductions. Since the launch of Green at Work®, CF has reduced emissions by 39 per cent.
Highlights of CF's 2018 report include:
- Reduced 4% in annual energy use
- Diverted 79% of waste materials from landfill
- Decreased annual water use by 4.6%
- In 2018, CF received numerous certifications and awards, including: 29 LEED® certifications, 50 BOMA® BEST certifications, and Five Star ranking for 2018 Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB) submission.
- In 2018, CF was recognized among Canada's Greenest Employers, 50 Most Engaged Workplaces™, and Global Top 25% most engaged companies.
- CF committed $1.66 million in funds in 2018 across a range of initiatives, in addition to funds raised by the CF Run and CF Golf Classic—two longstanding annual signature events.
- CF broadened its impact in 2018 with $500,000 in charitable donations to 18 extraordinary charities across Canada who focuses on providing education, health and wellness and employment services to marginalized young people.
- CF was the first company in North America to achieve WELL core and shell certification at Toronto-Dominion Centre's 222 Bay St. tower in 2018.
- CF became one the first organizations in Canada to receive ENERGY STAR certification at its Yonge Corporate Centre and Simcoe Place buildings in Toronto, and at Tour Deloitte in Montreal.
About Cadillac Fairview
Cadillac Fairview is one of the largest owners, operators and developers of best-in-class office, retail and mixed-use properties in North America. The Cadillac Fairview portfolio is owned by the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, a diversified global investor which administers the pensions of more than 327,000 active and retired school teachers. The real estate portfolio also includes investments in retail, mixed-use and industrial real estate in Brazil, Colombia and Mexico.
Valued at around $30 billion, the Canadian portfolio includes over 37 million square feet of leasable space at 68 properties in Canada, including landmark developments, such as Toronto-Dominion Centre, CF Toronto Eaton Centre, CF Pacific Centre, CF Chinook Centre, Tour Deloitte and CF Carrefour Laval.
SOURCE The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited
Renseignements: Media Contact: Anna Ng, Cadillac Fairview, 416-598-8246, email@example.com