VANCOUVER, May 1, 2019 /CNW/ - Vanbex, a cryptocurrency and blockchain technology company, has filed a libel suit against a former contract consultant who worked briefly for them. The law suit alleges that Mr. Kip Warner published and made false and defamatory statements to an associate of his in the Vancouver Police Department as well as the RCMP maliciously knowing that they were false or, alternatively, with reckless indifference to whether they were true or false, and for the main purpose of harming Kevin Hobbs, Lisa Cheng, and their company Vanbex.
The suit also alleges that Mr. Warner is a known 9-11 conspiracy theorist (see for example https://nationalpost.com/news/canadian-9-11-conspiracy-theorists-sue-google-over-secret-phone-tracking) and encouraged the Vancouver Police Department and the RCMP to investigate Vanbex. Warner knew the information he gave them was false and misleading. The suit further alleges that based on false information provided and perpetuated by Mr. Warner, the British Columbia Director of Civil Forfeiture filed a claim against Vanbex. Hobbs and Cheng have vigorously denied the Director's allegations.
In part, due to these false allegations the Vancouver Sun also wrote an article with the headline calling the company a "scam" which wrongly caused harm to the reputations of Kevin Hobbs, Lisa Cheng and their company Vanbex. https://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/civil-forfeiture-office-seeks-assets-linked-to-alleged-30-million-cryptocurrency-scam
The company would like to issue the following comments:
- Vanbex is far from a shell company. We are a legitimate consulting and development business in the cryptocurrency field – which is completely legal.
- Vanbex has over 26 staff and a very substantial payroll to match.
- We were never aware of any RCMP or CRA investigation until we saw the notice of civil claim in late March.
- We never liquidated any assets to "avoid" any investigation. All of our assets were purchased with funds that were lawfully ours to use.
- We have never misappropriated funds.
- No company funds were ever used for gambling purposes.
- None of our assets are the proceeds, or instruments of any unlawful activity.
- FUEL tokens are a necessary and important part of our business model and a real form of currency.
- The RCMP and the Canada Revenue Agency never contacted us or we would have immediately provided them with all the truthful information and documents.
- At no time was there any deceit or false representation to misappropriate funds from our customers or shareholders.
Kevin Hobbs and Lisa Cheng would also like to make the following statement:
"Vanbex has great employees and great products. We will defend ourselves vigorously with the truth. We will defend our business and the right to do our business. Our company is entirely lawful. We have acted properly. This is an insult to our 26 employees and their hard work."
Vanbex is a professional services and strategic consulting firm that specializes in all aspects of the blockchain industry. Established in 2013 to better tell the story of digital currency and blockchain-based companies, Vanbex has since evolved into a blockchain-based products and advisory services firm. vanbex.com
Renseignements: Legally represented by: David Wotherspoon Partner, Dentons Vancouver, 604-691-6429