LONDON, ON, March 10, 2014 /CNW/ - Trojan Technologies today announced that the Trojan Marinex Ballast Water Treatment (BWT) product suite has obtained International Maritime Organization (IMO) Type Approval from Det Norske Veritas (DNV) on behalf of the Norwegian Maritime Directorate.
"We are the largest UV company in the world, and are committed to providing pioneering water treatment technologies that meet the highest standards and help protect and preserve our environment," says Marvin DeVries, president, Trojan Technologies. "The IMO Type Approved Trojan Marinex product suite is a reflection of our forward-looking commitment to our customers. We performed our certification process, in every way possible, to the rigorous standards required by the United States Coast Guard, supporting our goal of achieving U.S. Type Approval this year. Testing was successfully completed in the most challenging conditions. This dispels the myth that UV cannot be used in the poorest of water qualities and gives vessel owners the confidence and reassurance they deserve, knowing that their operations will be unencumbered."
Rather than focusing on being among the first to get IMO Type Approval and testing to minimum standards, focus was instead put on the continual refinement of the BWT treatment technology and a robust testing protocol.
Five differentiating facts about the Trojan Marinex BWT system IMO Type Approval:
- Testing was conducted under the supervision of DNV, who is now certified as an Independent Lab (IL) by the United States Coast Guard (USCG), in accordance with United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Environmental Technology Verification (ETV) Ballast Water Protocol. The ETV protocol is a key testing requirement for systems to obtain USCG Type Approval.
- Land-based testing was completed at the DHI Maritime Technology Evaluation Facility in Hundested, Denmark and shipboard testing was completed on board the Training Ship Golden Bear (TSGB) - both are now part of DNV's network of subcontractors approved by the USCG for testing BWT systems.
- Tested and approved to the lowest UV transmittance value (poor water quality) in the industry under full flow conditions, meeting the requirements of IMO Circular BWM.2/Circ.43c (Guidance for Administrations on the Procedure for Evaluating an Application for Type Approval of a Ballast Water Management System).
- Land-based testing was conducted up to 1250 m3/h to verify the efficacy of the system at higher flow rates, meeting the requirements of IMO circular BWM.2/Circ.33 (Guidance on the Scaling of Ballast Water Management Systems). To date, this is the largest flow land-based test of a BWT system.
- Tested and approved in all three salinity ranges - brackish, fresh and marine.
In addition to the rigorous certification and testing methodologies employed, the Trojan Marinex BWT system is differentiated in that custom-designed filtration and UV is integrated into in a single, compact unit. TrojanUV Solo Lamp™ Technology was utilized to ensure the lowest installed power draw of other systems in the market. This extremely low power draw means that larger vessels, such as bulkers and tankers, can effectively choose a UV-based solution.
About Trojan Technologies
Trojan Technologies (www.trojantechnologies.com), a subsidiary of Danaher Corporation (NYSE:DHR), offers products under the brands Aquafine, OpenCEL, Salsnes Filter, Trojan Marinex, TrojanUV, US Peroxide and VIQUA. Applications and markets served include municipal wastewater, drinking water, environmental contaminant treatment; ballast water treatment; residential water treatment; ultrapurification of water used in food and beverage manufacturing, pharmaceutical processing and semiconductor applications; filtration and solids separation.
Video with caption: "Video: Trojan Marinex BWT systems are purpose-built for the marine environment, and provide filtration + UV in a single, compact unit.". Video available at: http://www.youtube.com/v/Led13Jf8Oo0?version=3&hl=en_US
SOURCE: Trojan Technologies
Market Manager, Trojan Marinex
+1 519 200-7906
Marketing Communications Director, Trojan Technologies
+1 519 457-3400