CALGARY, Nov. 13, 2014 The Law Society of Alberta is pleased to announce the results of its 2014 Bencher Election, which concluded today, November 13, at 4:30 p.m. (MST).
Every three years, the Law Society of Alberta holds an election to form a 24-member Board of Directors that guides the regulation of the practice of law in Alberta. Of the 24 directors, 20 are lawyers (Benchers) elected by the lawyers of Alberta, and four are public representatives (Lay Benchers) appointed by the Minister of Justice and Solicitor General. Of the 38 candidates, the following 19 Alberta lawyers have been elected as Benchers:
- Adam Letourneau, Southern District - Lethbridge
- Hugh D. Sommerville, QC, Central District - Drumheller
- Anne L. Kirker, QC, Calgary
- Gillian D. Marriott, QC, Calgary
- Donald R. Cranston, QC, Edmonton
- Robert W. Armstrong, Calgary
- Arman Chak, Edmonton
- Kent J. Teskey, Edmonton
- Sarah King-D'Souza, QC, Calgary
- Anthony G. Young, QC, Calgary
- Cal Johnson, QC, Calgary
- Kathleen A. Ryan, QC, Edmonton
- Nancy Dilts, QC, Calgary
- Fred R. Fenwick, QC, Calgary
- Dennis Edney, QC, Edmonton
- Darlene L. Windwick Scott, Edmonton
- Sandra L. Corbett, QC, Edmonton
- W.E. Brett Code, QC, Calgary
- Julie C. Lloyd, Edmonton
Pursuant to the Legal Profession Act, James T. Eamon, QC, the Law Society's incoming President, is automatically elected.
As part of the Law Society's evolution to online transactions, 2014 marked the first time the Bencher Election was held entirely online, eliminating the need for paper ballots. Voting online proved to be a fast, cost-effective and confidential method for the Law Society's 9,200 eligible members to cast their votes. A total of 3,632 lawyers (39 per cent) had their say in this year's election.
The Law Society of Alberta would like to thank the 38 candidates who put their name forward for election.
The Law Society serves the public interest by promoting a high standard of legal services and professional conduct through the regulation of an independent legal profession in Alberta.
Image with caption: "Law Society of Alberta (CNW Group/Law Society of Alberta)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20141113_C5993_PHOTO_EN_8008.jpg
SOURCE: Law Society of Alberta
Renseignements: Communications Department, Law Society of Alberta, 403.229.4744, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.lawsociety.ab.ca