WISE Awards recognize six innovative initiatives in education
DOHA, Qatar, Sept. 17, 2014 /CNW/ - The World Innovation Summit for Education (WISE), a leading international initiative driving innovation and collaboration in education, has announced the six 2014 WISE Awards winning projects. Since 2009 the WISE Awards have identified and promoted some of the most effective practices in tackling urgent global education challenges.
To view the Multimedia News Release, please click:
The six 2014 WISE Awards winning projects address an array of education challenges linked to employment, creativity, access and literacy:
- The Song Room - Australia - Providing arts-based programs enhancing the education, personal development and community involvement of the country's disadvantaged children.
- Street Children: Reintegration through Education - Egypt - Reducing the number of children living and working on the streets of Cairo by providing child-friendly education and life skills.
- Me & MyCity - Finland - A hands-on learning environment offering pupils positive experiences of entrepreneurship, the economy and society.
- Educate Girls - India - Improving girls' enrolment, retention and academic performance in government schools through community empowerment.
- We Love Reading - Jordan - Encouraging children to read for pleasure through a cost-efficient, grassroots approach.
- Alternate Education for Rural Development in Peru - Peru/Spain - Promoting integration of rural work and school life to improve students' employment prospects.
A Jury comprised of education leaders, chaired by H.E. Sheikh Abdulla bin Ali Al-Thani, Chairman of WISE, selected the winning projects from a shortlist of 15 finalists, chosen from hundreds of applications.
H.E. Sheikh Abdulla bin Ali Al-Thani remarked: "These initiatives demonstrate how transformative educational programs not only bring real change to the classroom, but can also have a wider influence in communities and society."
The six 2014 WISE Awards winning projects will be celebrated at a Gala Dinner during the sixth World Innovation Summit for Education, November 4-6, 2014, in Doha, Qatar.
For further information about WISE and the WISE Awards, please go to http://www.wise-qatar.org or http://www.wise-qatar.org/wise-awards
NOTES TO EDITORS
About the WISE Awards:
Each year, the WISE Awards recognize and promote six successful innovative projects that are addressing global education challenges. Since 2009, WISE has received more than 2,000 applications from over 140 countries. With the announcement of the 2014 WISE Awards, 36 projects have now been recognized around the world from a variety of sectors for their innovative character, their positive contribution and for scalability and adaptability.
About the World Innovation Summit for Education (WISE):
The World Innovation Summit for Education was established by Qatar Foundation in 2009 under the patronage of its Chairperson, Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. WISE is an international, multi-sectoral platform for creative thinking, debate and purposeful action toward building the future of education through innovation and partnership. Through the annual Summit and a range of ongoing initiatives, WISE is a global reference in new approaches to education. WISE 2014 will take place November 4-6 in Doha.
SOURCE: World Innovation Summit for Education (WISE)
For further information: Media contact: email@example.com, +33-(0)1-56-03-58-47