Travellers, domestic and abroad, are choosing cities from Calgary to Saskatoon
TORONTO, March 25, 2014 /CNW/ - Cities in the sprawling Prairie Provinces, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta are winning over travellers from Canada and beyond. Based on findings from the latest Hotels.com™ Hotel Price Index™, these provinces and their most popular cities all experienced slight increases in average prices paid, as well as a boost in popularity in 2013.
Calgary, AB - Average hotel price Canadians paid in 2013: $161
- Popularity rank for Canadians: 7th
- Popularity rank international travellers: 5th (up two places from 2012)
- What makes it special? Known for its oil and money, this city is booming and was the only Canadian destination to make the The New York Times "52 Places to Go in 2014" list, coming in at 17th place.
Edmonton, AB - Average hotel price Canadians paid in 2013: $140
- Popularity rank for Canadians: 5th
- Popularity rank for international travellers: 10th (up one spot from 2012)
- What makes it special? The province's capital city is well known for its super-sized mall, but that's not the only shopping attraction. The Edmonton City Market received international kudos when it was named Best Farmers' Market of 2013 by National Geographic's Digital Nomad Andrew Evans.
Banff, AB - Average hotel price Canadians paid in 2013: $169
- Popularity rank for Canadians: 10th
- Popularity rank for international travellers: 9th
- What makes it special? The stunning emerald waters of Moraine Lake in Banff National Park are world famous and a photographers dream, but it's the perfect destination for active travellers too. The scenic Banff gondola and hot springs are an added bonus.
Winnipeg, MB - Average hotel price Canadians paid in 2013: $136
- Popularity rank for Canadians: 11th
- Popularity rank for international travellers: 12th
- What makes it special? Our favourite bear was named after this city, which was also voted cultural Capital of Canada in 2010. Travellers will enjoy the many new and upcoming attractions including the soon-to-be-opened Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
Saskatoon, SK - Average hotel price Canadians paid in 2013: $161
- Popularity rank for Canadians: 12th (up three places from 2012)
- Popularity rank for international travellers? 19th (up one spot from 2012)
- What makes it special? If you like live acts, you'll enjoy the largest city in Saskatchewan. Home to the only burlesque group in the Prairies, the Rosebud Burlesque theatre is part of the city's culture and it's also known as a live music destination alongside Montreal and Toronto.
It's more than crop fields and cowboys out west, so next time you plan to explore Canada, why not give the Prairies some love? For more destination recommendations based on your interests, whether it's tailored around the local culinary or music scene or budget-specific, please visit www.hotel-price-index.com/2014/spring/ca.
About the HPI
The HPI is based on bookings made on Hotels.com sites and prices shown are those actually paid by customers per room per night, rather than advertised rates. More than 150,000 properties around the world make up the sample set of hotels from which prices are taken. To access the full report, including detailed maps, colorful photos and a city-by-city breakdown, please visit: www.hotel-price-index.com/2014/spring/ca.
About Hotels.com (http://www.hotels.com)
Hotels.com (also known in Canada as Hotels.ca) is a leading online accommodation booking website with more than 260,000 properties around the world, ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favourites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the perfect stay. Special apps for mobile phones and tablets can also be downloaded enabling customers to book on the go with access to 20,000 last minute deals.
© 2014 Hotels.com, LP. Hotels.com, Hotel Price Index, HPI, The Obvious Choice, Captain Obvious, Welcome Rewards and the Hotels.com logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotels.com, LP in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. CST # 2083949-50
Image with caption: "The stampede is just one of Calgary's many attractions bringing in travellers (CNW Group/Hotels.com)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140325_C6891_PHOTO_EN_38303.jpg