Largest ever torch relay for a Parapan Am Games will feature the unique start of two flames
TORONTO, July 28, 2015 /CNW/ - The TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games Torch Relay, presented by President's Choice® and OLG, is just around the corner as Toronto gears up to host the largest Parapan Am Games ever.
A first in torch relay history, two separate flames — one in the east and one in the west — will be lit on August 3 during special ceremonies in Ottawa, Ontario, and Niagara Falls, Ontario. The Parapan Am flames will then visit 12 communities and unite in Toronto before travelling to the Opening Ceremony for the TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games on August 7 at the CIBC Pan Am/Parapan Am Athletics Stadium.
During its five-day inspirational journey, the Parapan Am flame will be carried by more than 250 torchbearers, including:
- Chelsea Lariviere (@kayakwoman83) — in Ottawa, ON, on August 3 — Paralympic silver medallist, track and field.
- Dwight Drummond (@dwightdrummond) — in Niagara Falls, ON, on August 3 — co-host, CBC News Toronto.
- Derek Smith (@dasmitty24) — in Belleville, ON, on August 4 — NHL player, Arizona Coyotes.
- Joe Boudreau — in Hamilton, ON, on August 4 — wheelchair rugby athlete.
- Brandon Wagner (@BWAGG) — in Burlington, ON, on August 5 — Paralympic gold medallist and Parapan Am multi-medallist, wheelchair basketball.
- Nydia Langill (@NLangill) — in Mississauga, ON, on August 5 — Team Canada athlete, para-swimming.
- Alex Norman (@mralexnorman) — in Mississauga, ON, on August 5 — lead singer, IllScarlett.
- Glenn Healy — in Ajax, ON, on August 6 — former NHL player with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Patrick Jarvis — in Ajax, ON, on August 6 — Paralympian, athletics, and former president of the Canadian Paralympic Committee and current board member of the International Paralympic Committee.
- Billy Bridges (@BillBridges18) — in Toronto, ON, on August 6 — Paralympic multi-medallist, ice sledge hockey.
- Sami Jo Small (@SamiJoSmall) — in Toronto, ON, on August 6 — three-time Olympian and Olympic multi-medallist, ice hockey.
- Chelsey Gotell (@ChelsGotell) — in Toronto, ON, on August 6 — three-time Paralympian and Paralympic and Parapan Am multi-medallist, swimming.
- Elisabeth Walker-Young (@elisabethwy) — in Toronto, ON, on August 6 — four-time Paralympian and multi-medallist, swimming, and chef de mission for the TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games.
- Stephanie Dixon — in Toronto, ON, on August 7 — three-time Paralympian and multi-medallist, swimming, and assistant chef de mission for the TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games (selected by CIBC).
The Parapan Am flame will visit 12 communities — Ajax, Belleville, Burlington, Hamilton, Kingston, Mississauga, Niagara Falls, Oshawa, Ottawa, St. Catharines, Toronto, Whitby — travelling more than 700 kilometres. The Parapan Am flame will be carried by more than 250 torchbearers who will each complete, on average, a 200-metre relay segment.
Canadians are encouraged to join the community celebrations leading up to the dramatic lighting of the Parapan Am cauldron at the Opening Ceremony for the Parapan Am Games in Toronto on August 7. To learn more about the Parapan Am Games Torch Relay and the community celebrations, visit TORONTO2015.org/torch-relay.
About the TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games Torch Relay
The TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games Torch Relay is presented by President's Choice® and OLG, supported by community partner CIBC and signature supporters Star Media Group and Metroland Media, Ontario Trillium Foundation and Porter Airlines, and funding parties the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario. The torch relay will invite communities to celebrate and share the Parapan Am spirit throughout its five-day journey towards Toronto, the Host City of the Games.
The torch relay starts August 3, 2015, and concludes August 7, 2015, with the dramatic lighting of the cauldron at the Opening Ceremony in Toronto.
The TORONTO 2015 Games are funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, as well as Lead Partner CIBC and other partners and sponsors.
To learn more about the torch relay and when the Parapan Am flame will visit a community near you, visit TORONTO2015.org/torch-relay or download the official TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games app, presented by CIBC.
Saäd Rafi, Chief Executive Officer, TO2015:
"It is an honour and privilege to be a part of the largest ever Parapan Am Games Torch Relay in the history of the Games. I encourage all Canadians to support our 250 Parapan Am torchbearers as they proudly ignite the Games spirit in 12 communities across the province."
The Honourable Bal Gosal, Minister of State (Sport):
"As Canadians, we are proud of our country's success as a leading sport nation, especially during the Year of Sport in Canada. As the flame will soon begin its journey, I am pleased to share in the enthusiasm and pride that the torch relay inspires among all Canadians."
Kathleen Wynne, Premier of Ontario:
"I encourage everyone to take part in the Parapan Am Games Torch Relay as it travels across our province. Torchbearers from all over Ontario volunteered to represent their communities and become part of the Games legacy. The two flames travelling simultaneously from opposite ends of the province represent the incredible perseverance of these Parapan Am athletes and the spirit of the Games. This is a once-in-a-lifetime event for everyone in Ontario, so let's make it the best Parapan Am Games ever!"
Mayor John Tory, City of Toronto:
"The Parapan Am flame will travel across Toronto, uniting our neighbourhoods in the spirit of friendship and sport. I encourage Torontonians to come out and cheer our torch relay participants on as we count down the days until the TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games on August 7th."
Stephen Rigby, President and CEO, Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG):
"The TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games Torch Relay will shine a light on the strength and diversity of all those involved in the games. OLG is proud to support the torch relay and to continue to champion amateur athletics across Ontario through Quest for Gold."
Laura Dottori-Attanasio, Chief Risk Officer and Diversity & Inclusion Champion, CIBC, Lead Partner of the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games and a Premier Partner of the Canadian Paralympic Team:
"CIBC is excited to be Community Partner of the TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games Torch Relay, signaling that the largest Parapan Am Games in history are just around the corner. Congratulations to all the torchbearers who will carry the iconic flame and help symbolize the dedication, inspiration and celebration that will unfold as we cheer on these world-class athletes."
SOURCE Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games
For further information: East (Ajax, Belleville, Kingston, Oshawa, Ottawa, Toronto, Whitby): Jill MacCannell, Coordinator, marketing and communications, TO2015, 416.996.4076, email@example.com; West (Burlington, Hamilton, Mississauga, Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Toronto): Melissa Iafrate, Coordinator, marketing and communications, TO2015, 647.225.4002, firstname.lastname@example.org