Kids of shomi Take Over, Highlighting Their Favourite Streaming Picks for March Break, Starting March 9
Blue's Clues, Scooby Doo, and Batman among the "Kid Approved" titles
TORONTO, March 9, 2015 /CNW/ - No more teachers, no more books! With a little extra spring in their step, the kids are breaking out and breaking free… March Break is here and a week of snow forts, skating, and shomi™ awaits! And who better to help kids find something fun to watch than other kids? The shomi team has called on our own mini-experts to tell us what's cool to view when you're out of school! The kids of shomi staffers have taken over to create three custom-curated collections for ages Under 5, 6-to-9, and 10-to-13. Starting today, kids and parents can head to shomi to find TV series and movies stamped with a "Kid Approved" label, chosen by our own in-house kid experts (literally, these kiddie critics are in our homes… we've got the toys on the floor and dishes in the sink to prove it!)
"One of the things that sets shomi apart – and I love most about my role here – is the human curation factor," said Marni Shulman, shomi's Head of Content and Programming. "To highlight our kids' content for March Break, we really wanted to walk the talk – taking the lead from our own kids to shape these three special collections was an obvious choice."
With both TV series and movies making the "Kid Approved" cut, our kids' favourites include:
- Under 5: Tuff Puppy, Yo Gabba Gabba, Blue's Clues, Animal Mechanical, and Bubble Guppies
- 6 to 9: Johnny Test, Hotel Transylvania, Scooby Doo, Robots, Artzooka, and Anatasia
- 10 to 13: Batman, Boy Meets World, iCarly, Zathura, and Are You Afraid of the Dark?
So just who are these pint-sized programmers? Meet shomi's kids:
- Aariya (4-1/2) – This junior kindergartener is shomi's youngest expert. But don't let her age fool you, Aariya keeps a packed schedule with arts and crafts in the afternoons and gymnastics on the weekend. For this self-described "smart and chatty" girl, it's all about rounding out her resume as she works towards her dream job as a teacher! (Aariya is the daughter of Rina Whittaker, shomi's Senior Product Manager).
- Michael, AKA "Big Mike" (5) – This extremely energetic five-year-old keeps himself in shape for a future career as a Police Officer by playing tag in the park with his brother, or DIY projects like building a treehouse. When he isn't winning fairness awards in senior kindergarten, Big Mike likes to spend downtime with his iPad. (Big Mike is the son of Marni Shulman, shomi's Head of Content and Programming).
- Brandon (6-1/2) – Brandon is one of shomi's more cultivated experts, who loves nothing more than an evening with a good comic book or a fine meal at his favourite restaurant. This first-grade standout enjoys time with family and a vivid fantasy life where he is a flying superhero with laser eyes. (Brandon is the son of Marni Shulman, shomi's Head of Content and Programming).
- Emily (8) – Second grader, Emily, is seeing stars… in addition to recommending TV and movies for shomi, she one day plans to star on the screen as a performer as well! This "artistic and funny" girl imagines much of her future will be divided between hanging with her sister and a time-share in Florida! (Emily is the daughter of Angela Pilas-Magee, shomi's Senior Manager of Content and Programming).
- Audrey (10) – When this self-described book worm isn't reading, this fifth grader and future doctor enjoys watching her favourite movies and shows with family. (Audrey is the daughter of Augusto Rosa, shomi's Director of Infrastructure and Operations).
- Pedro (11) – Next on the team is eleven-year-old, Pedro. And while Pedro is making picks for us now, look for him to be picking up gold as a competitive swimmer in the near future! Swim practice at 5:00 a.m.? Ouch! (Pedro is the son of Rita Ferrari, shomi's Director of Product and Brand Marketing).
- Duncan (12) – This future hoops star excels at his chosen sport, both on the court and with a game controller! (Duncan is the son of Patrick Boydell, shomi's Senior Brand Manager).
shomi is available now in beta first to Rogers and Shaw Internet or cable customers, while conversations continue with other BDUs. With an all-star TV content lineup of Canadian exclusives, including Transparent and Mozart in the Jungle; exclusive day-and-date releases of buzz-worthy series such as Jane the Virgin, iZombie, and The Messengers; and past-seasons of many of the hottest shows on television, featuring Sons of Anarchy, The Americans, and Vikings. Beyond TV binges, shomi offers hand-picked movie favourites and fun kids-and-family content. Canadians can enjoy shomi online and on select tablets, mobile devices, set top boxes (on Rogers Channel 300 or through the Shaw On Demand menu), and Xbox 360. shomi will also be coming soon to Chromecast.
shomi is a brand new kind of subscription video streaming service that makes getting video entertainment nearly as enjoyable as watching it. Curated by people who love popcorn and magic, shomi combines the passion and knowledge of our entertainment experts with the power of technology to offer recommendations and Collections that help our members always find something good to watch. We are made in Canada. shomi is a joint venture owned equally by Rogers Communications and Shaw Communications. Want more information? Visit www.shomi.com.
shomi Social Media
Like shomi at Facebook.com/shomicanada
Follow shomi on Twitter @shomicanada
Follow shomi on Instagram @shomicanada
Follow shomi on Google Plus +shomicanada
Subscribe to shomi on YouTube @shomicanada
Image with caption: "What to view when you’re out of school? shomi’s pint-sized programmers created three custom-curated collections for March Break (CNW Group/shomi)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20150309_C7396_PHOTO_EN_12982.jpg
Renseignements: Media Contact: Jodi Cook, shomi, Jodi.Cook@shomi.com, 416.764.2725; Erin Chard, North Strategic, Erin.Chard@northstrategic.com, 905.806.2956