SEATTLE, Nov. 19, 2013 /CNW/ - Holland America Line is revealing a roster of celebrated chefs, authors and epicures scheduled to sail as part of the line's Culinary Arts Center Program in 2014. Highlighting the lineup are Food Network "Next Iron Chef" competitor chef Jehangir Mehta, Food Network "Extreme Chef" winners Chef Amadeus and Terry French, and The New York Times columnist and cookbook author Mark Bittman.
The Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine Magazine, is an onboard enrichment program that offers guests the opportunity to learn from some of the most respected culinary figures in the business. Industry leaders engage guests in a range of activities from cooking shows and wine tasting, to question and answer sessions in the ships' full show kitchen.
"We attract many culinary fans and the Culinary Arts Center continues to be a cornerstone of our onboard enrichment program and one of the most popular activities we offer," said Richard Meadows, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs for Holland America Line. "It's a unique experience that we are able to give our guests with access to high-caliber chefs and experts who share insider knowledge and tricks of the trade."
Renowned Chefs Lined Up for 2014 Include:
Chef Amadeus is the first winner of the Food Network's "Extreme Chef" series and owner of Southern Passion, a line of salt-free blended spices that reflects his southern up-bringing and global fusion-style of cooking. He will be onboard ms Eurodam's seven-day western Caribbean cruise departing Jan. 5.
Mark Bittman is an opinion columnist with The New York Times dining section. His books include the bestselling "How to Cook Everything" and the groundbreaking "Vegan Before 6 P.M". Guests can join him on ms Prinsendam's Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage from Jan. 5 - March 14.
Before gaining his title as winner of the 2012 Food Network "Extreme Chef," Terry French was known by another notable nickname: The Rebel Chef. In addition to several projects currently in development, Chef French's catering company, Culinary Dreams, creates unique dining experiences that will be remembered for a lifetime. Chef French also gives back with his nonprofit organization, Chef's for Life. French sails on ms Amsterdam's Grand World Voyage from Feb. 5-17, Fiji to Cairns, Australia.
Ash Fulk is known as one of the competitors from the Emmy award winning season six of Bravo's hit series "Top Chef." Fulk has recently been the chef of Hill Country Barbecue Market in Manhattan, where he delivered the restaurant two stars from The New York Times and made it the highest rated Barbecue spot in NYC. Fulk will sail Jan. 5-9 during the 68-day Grand South American & Antarctica Voyage aboard ms Prinsendam.
Jeff Maxfield will sail through Alaska on ms Westerdam for a seven-day voyage departing Sept. 6. Maxfield is known for creating impeccable local-inspired cuisine as the executive chef at the acclaimed SkyCity Restaurant, a revolving dining room atop the Space Needle in Seattle, Wash.
Mumbai-born Jehangir Mehta is a protégé of Jean-Georges, and is the chef/owner of Graffiti in New York City. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, Mehta gained national attention as a competitor on the Food Network's "Iron Chef" followed by "The Next Iron Chef." He will be joining ms Zaandam's June 27 Alaska cruise.
Sergeant First Class Brad Turner is the original grill sergeant and star of the show by the same name. "Grill Sergeants" airs every week on the Pentagon channel entertaining troops worldwide, and all of the chefs on the show are active-duty military. He will join the Culinary Arts Center in Alaska on ms Oosterdam May 18.
Other notable Culinary Arts Center guest chefs and cuisine experts slated to sail in the 2014 season include:
- John Alonge, founder of San Diego Wine and Culinary Center and author of "The Wine Heretic's Bible" will join ms Amsterdam for a portion of the Grand World Voyage from April 16-28.
- Brian Averna, senior executive with Sara Lee Corporation, will be on ms Zuiderdam's 11-day Panama Canal cruise departing Jan. 13.
- Mark Bitterman will cruise on a segment of ms Prinsendam Grand Africa and Mediterranean Voyage departing April 24. He is founder and owner of The Meadow, a gourmet market specializing in artisan salts, chocolates, bitters and Pacific Northwestern wines in Portland, Ore., and New York City.
- Alain Bosse, "The Kilted Chef", is past president of Taste of Nova Scotia and current president of Alain Bosse Consulting. He also is the food editor for Saltscape Magazine. Bosse will be on ms Maasdam's Alaska cruise departing Oct. 18.
- Joseph Caputo, cookbook author, executive chef at Zuppa del Giorno in Scranton, Pa., and a longtime guest chef of Holland America Line's Culinary Arts Center, will join ms Nieuw Amsterdam Jan.12.
- Michael Colletti, chef/owner of VB3 Restaurant and Bar in Jersey City, N.J., will be sailing the eastern Caribbean on ms Nieuw Amsterdam's March 2 departure. He earned back-to-back victories for his creation of the "Colletti Smokehouse Burger" when he competed in the Food & Wine Festival Rachel Ray Burger Bash.
- David Crews is the executive chef of Six Shooter Land and Timber. In August 2013, he was crowned "King of American Seafood" when he won The Great American Seafood Cook-Off in New Orleans, La. He will be onboard ms Statendam's seven-day Alaska cruise departing May 25.
- Catherine Fallis is a master sommelier, author and spokesperson for the wine industry. She is the founder and president of Planet Grape. Fallis will share her expertise in Alaska on ms Maasdam Aug. 9-16.
- Tenney Flynn was called the fishmonger czar of the Gulf region by the Wall Street Journal. He is the chef/owner of GW Fins, a fine dining seafood restaurant in New Orleans. Guests can look for him on ms Amsterdam's Grand Pacific & Far East Voyage departing Oct. 5.
- George Geary is a cooking teacher, pastry chef, cookbook author, food writer, award winning culinary tour guide and spokesperson. To date, he has written 10 cookbooks. He will be on ms Amsterdam starting Jan. 15 for a portion of the Grand World Voyage.
- Natacha Gomez is devoted to promoting Haitian gastronomy. She is the catering manager of Kokiyaj Bar and Grill and owner of Chef T in Cap-Haitien, Haiti. She will be on ms Westerdam in the eastern Caribbean Feb. 15.
- Paul Gregutt will be onboard ms Maasdam in the Caribbean from Jan. 27-Feb. 7. He is a wine expert who focuses primarily on varietals of the Pacific Northwest, an editor at Wine Enthusiast, author of several books and publishes a weekly column, "Wine Adviser," in The Seattle Times.
- Kathy Guidi is a leader and innovator in the cheese industry. She holds the title Maitre Fromager, founded the Cheese Education Guild and is president of Artisan Cheese Marketing. Guidi will be on ms Eurodam cruising Canada & New England Sept. 14-24.
- Pranee Khruasanit Halvorsen is originally from Phuket, Thailand, and is an expert in Thai cuisine. She is the founder of I Love Thai Cooking and will be sharing her knowledge on a portion of ms Amsterdam's Grand World Voyage beginning March 1.
- Bob Hart is the author of Heat and Smoke and founder of the Australian Barbecue Academy. He will be joining ms Oosterdam in his home-region of Australia & New Zealand Oct. 24.
- Seis Kamimura is executive chef of CenturyLink Field, home to the Seattle Seahawks NFL team. He will be joining the Culinary Arts Center on ms Veendam's Canada & New England voyage departing July 5.
- Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough are contributing editors to Eating Well Magazine and creators of the Ultimate Cookbook series. The pair will be on ms Zuiderdam on departing April 7 for a Panama Canal Sunfarer cruise.
Holland America Line's Culinary Arts Center presented by Food & Wine Magazine
Holland America Line's industry trend-setting Culinary Arts Centers are featured on each of the line's 15 ships. A "world class show kitchen at sea," the Culinary Arts Centers, presented by Food & Wine Magazine, resemble the elaborate show kitchens used by celebrity chefs on television cooking programs. The facilities are used for cooking shows, wine tastings, hands-on cooking classes and mixology presentations. All events are taught by highly skilled culinary and beverage staff during every Holland America Line voyage.
Each facility features a theater-style venue with two large video screens and a large cooking display counter. Holland America Line also offers a youth Culinary Arts Center activity program on select sailings to teach kids and teens how to cook. The program incorporates dishes from breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks in complimentary 45-minute classes.
For a full schedule of Holland America Line's culinary guest program, visit the Culinary Arts Center page of Holland America Line's website.
For more information about Holland America Line, consult a professional travel agent, call 1-877-SAIL HAL (877-724-5425) or visit www.hollandamerica.com.
Editor's note: Photos are available at https://www.cleanpix.com/cleanpix/portal/W14gB-z9g-Dkc .
Find Holland America Line on Twitter, Facebook and the Holland America Blog. Access all social media outlets via the Online Communities quick link on the home page at www.hollandamerica.com.
About Holland America Line [a division of Carnival Corporation and plc (NYSE: CCL and CUK)]
Holland America Line's fleet of 15 ships offers more than 500 cruises to 415 ports in 98 countries, territories or dependencies. One- to 110-day itineraries visit all seven continents and highlights include Antarctica, South America, Australia/New Zealand and Asia voyages; a Grand World Voyage; and popular sailings to ports in the Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico, Canada/New England, Europe and Panama Canal. The line currently has a new ship on order from Fincantieri shipyard for delivery in February 2016.
Fleetwide, the company features Signature of Excellence enhancements, a commitment totaling more than $500 million, that showcase the Culinary Arts Center presented by Food & Wine magazine — a state-of-the-art onboard show kitchen where more than 60 celebrated guest chefs and culinary experts provide cooking demonstrations and classes — Explorations Café powered by The New York Times, Digital Workshop powered by Windows, teens-only activity areas and all new stateroom amenities highlighted by flat-panel TVs and plush Euro-top Mariner's Dream Beds.
World's Leading Cruise Lines
Holland America Line is a proud member of World's Leading Cruise Lines. Our exclusive alliance also includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Cunard Line, Princess Cruises, Costa Cruises and Seabourn. Sharing a passion to please each guest and a commitment to quality and value, World's Leading Cruise Lines inspires people to discover their best vacation experience. Together, we offer a variety of exciting and enriching cruise vacations to the world's most desirable destinations. Visit us at www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com.
SOURCE: Holland America Line
For further information: