Toys"R"Us® and Babies"R"Us® stores from coast-to-coast to open one hour early on Sunday, April 2.
TORONTO, March 30, 2017 /CNW/ - In honour of World Autism Awareness Day, on Sunday, April 2, 2017, Toys"R"Us, Canada will host a Sensory-Friendly Shopping Hour in partnership with Autism Speaks Canada. As part of the initiative, all Toys"R"Us® and Babies"R"Us® stores from coast-to-coast will open one hour early. During the hour, there will be no music or announcements; lighting will be dimmed; and designated quiet spaces will be located throughout the store. Families can also enjoy in-store product demonstrations and activities with toys identified as ideal for children on the autism spectrum.
"Creating a welcoming in-store environment for all our customers and giving all kids the opportunity to experience the magic and wonder of a toy store is a must for us," said Melanie Teed-Murch, President, Toys"R"Us, Canada. "Our stores in the U.S. and U.K. received positive responses for their own programs, and we are confident that through our Sensory-Friendly Shopping Hour, we too can make shopping a little easier – and of course fun – for families with kids on the autism spectrum."
The launch of the Sensory-Friendly Shopping Hour is part of Toys"R"Us, Canada's commitment to supporting and raising awareness of the autism community.
- Since 2010, Toys"R"Us, Canada has partnered with Autism Speaks Canada and has raised more than $5 million dollars through the generous support of its customers, team members and vendors.
- Every year in March and April, Toys"R"Us, Canada invites customers to purchase an Autism Speaks Puzzle Piece in store or online at Toysrus.ca/autismspeaks for a donation amount of their choice. All funds raised go directly to Autism Speaks Canada to support services, community grants, awareness initiatives and social programs like sports, drama and swimming that aid in children's development and social skills.
- Every year, thousands of families come together and celebrate in the Autism Speaks Canada Walk sponsored by Toys"R"Us. This year, eight signature events along with community walks will take place in 20 cities across Canada. Those who want to take part in or bring a Walk to their community can visit Autismspeaks.ca.
"We are proud to work alongside a national partner like Toys"R"Us to offer a Sensory-Friendly Shopping Hour," said Jill Farber, Executive Director, Autism Speaks Canada. "Shopping trips for families and individuals with autism can sometimes be more challenging. This initiative will provide a friendly, inclusive environment for the autism community – giving them the space to be themselves."
For local store hours for Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us locations throughout Canada for World Autism Awareness Day on Sunday, April 2, visit Toysrus.ca/events.
About Autism Speaks Canada
Autism Speaks Canada is dedicated to promoting solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the life span, for the needs of individuals with autism and their families. We do this through collaboration with community partners; increasing understanding and acceptance of autism spectrum disorder; and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions. Through partnerships and collaboration, we are committed to:
- Increasing global understanding & acceptance of autism
- Being a catalyst for research breakthroughs
- Increasing early-childhood screenings & timely interventions
- Improving the transition to adulthood
- Ensuring access to reliable information & services throughout the life span.
Go to www.autismspeaks.ca to learn more.
About Toys"R"Us, Canada
Toys"R"Us (Canada) Ltd. and Babies"R"Us are part of Toys"R"Us, Inc., the world's leading dedicated toy and baby products retailer. Toys"R"Us, Canada operates 82 full-sized stores across the country. For store locations and convenient online shopping visit www.toysrus.ca and www.babiesrus.ca.
Follow Toys"R"Us, Canada on Facebook (Facebook.com/ToysRUsCanada), Twitter (@ToysRUsCanada) and Instagram (@ToysRUsCanada)
SOURCE Toys "R" Us (Canada) Ltd.
For further information: For more information or to arrange an interview, please contact: Sheri Papps, Paradigm Public Relations, 416-413-5207, email@example.com; Sonya Luchetta, Toys"R"Us, Canada, 905-660-2000 ext. 2729, firstname.lastname@example.org