TORONTO, Aug. 22, 2014 /CNW/ - The brazen robbery of the two-person
armoured car crew in a Montreal suburb underlines the need for improved
safety standards in the industry.
"How many more robberies will it take before our legislators take these
safety concerns seriously? These workers are being put in dangerous
situations every day, and that can and must be addressed," Unifor
National President Jerry Dias said.
A two-person armoured car crew was robbed in Brossard, Quebec, Thursday
night by two bandits armed with guns and pepper spray and wearing
Halloween masks. It is the fourth high-profile armoured car robbery in
the past year, including one in February in Toronto that ended in a
Unifor has called for a national task force into safety standards in the
industry, and an end to two-person crews. In a landmark ruling released
earlier this year, two-person armoured car crews were declared unsafe
by a federal health and safety officer after an exhaustive
"Two-person crews are nothing but a cost-saving measure that puts lives
at risk, and must be stopped," Dias said.
Industry statistics show that 70 per cent of armoured car robberies in
the last 10 years have been against two-person crews
Unifor met with federal Director General of Policing Policy Mark Potter
in June to discuss safety concerns in the armoured car industry, and to
push for a taskforce to look for ways to improve safety.
For a copy of Unifor's review of the armoured car industry and complete
recommendations to improve its safety, go to unifor.org/safecargo.
Unifor, which represents 2,000 workers in the armoured car industry, was
formed Labour Day weekend 2013 with the merger of the Canadian
Autoworkers with the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers union.
With more than 305,000 members, it is Canada's largest union in the
For further information:
For more information, contact Unifor Communications staff representative Stuart Laidlaw at 647-385-4054 (cell) or national representative Mike Armstrong at 613-882-4949 (cell) or 613-523-0434 (office).