CALGARY, Sept. 8, 2016 /CNW/ - The National Energy Board (NEB) has launched a 30-day public consultation that will solicit input into a draft Board Order directing pipeline companies to publish their emergency management programs by March 31, 2017. The consultation is open to all Canadians.
Emergency response transparency is an NEB priority and the latest consultation initiative follows an April 5, 2016 Board Order (MO-006-2016) that directed companies to post emergency procedures manuals online by September 30, 2016.
NEB-regulated companies are required under legislation to have emergency management programs in place to anticipate, prevent, manage and mitigate emergencies. The NEB will not hesitate to take enforcement action should a company fail to adhere to regulatory requirements.
Emergency Management Programs must include:
- Policy and Commitment
- Goals and Objectives
- Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment and Controls
- Stakeholder Liaison to Prepare for Emergencies
- Continuing Education
- Training and Exercises
- Incident Management System
Canadians can participate in the online web page until October 11, 2016.
Link to Online Consultation
NEB Emergency Response Public Consultation
- The NEB is the first North American energy regulator to require online publication of company emergency procedures manuals.
- In 2015 the NEB evaluated 19 company emergency response exercises.
- On or before September 30, 2016, companies will be required to post emergency procedures manuals online.
The National Energy Board is an independent federal regulator of several parts of Canada's energy industry with the safety of Canadians and protection of the environment as its top priority. Its purpose is to regulate pipelines, energy development and trade in the Canadian public interest. For more information on the NEB and its mandate, please visit www.neb-one.gc.ca.
SOURCE National Energy Board
For further information: Darin Barter, Communications, National Energy Board, Tel: 1.403.837.5267, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org