PORT AUX BASQUES, NL, July 13, 2016 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada recognizes the importance for Canadians to connect both the communities and businesses of Newfoundland and Labrador and Nova Scotia, and to provide visitors and residents with a safe, reliable and efficient ferry service between the two provinces.
The Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, joined Marine Atlantic's Interim Chair of the Board of Directors Sharon Duggan and Paul Griffin, President and CEO, to announce upgrades to the existing Marine Atlantic facilities in Port aux Basques, Newfoundland and Labrador, and in North Sydney, Nova Scotia.
Budget 2016 provided $22 million in funding for two projects that will directly benefit the two terminals:
- upgrading the mooring system that will increase safety; and
- upgrading the dock fenders to minimize the wear and tear of docking on vessels and docks.
A third project will also be undertaken in Port aux Basques to enhance the facility's storm sewer system to improve operating conditions in the terminal yard.
- Marine Atlantic is a federal Crown Corporation that receives funding and reports to the Government of Canada through Transport Canada.
- In Budget 2016, the Government of Canada announced approximately $22 million for a number of projects that will continue to enhance Marine Atlantic's shore-based infrastructure and operations.
- This infrastructure investment will help improve the quality of life of middle class Canadians, promote sustainable development and long-term prosperity for Canadian families.
- Over the past six years, customer satisfaction rates have increased by approximately 20 per cent and on-time performance has improved to over 90 per cent.
"The funding announced in Budget 2016 will continue to strengthen Marine Atlantic's vital transportation service for the citizens of Newfoundland and Labrador including those who rely on the shipment of goods to and from the province on a daily basis. Therefore, this investment plays a significant role in growing the local economy."
The Honourable Marc Garneau
Minister of Transport
"I want to thank Minister Garneau for visiting our operations and getting a first-hand view of the positive impact the Government of Canada's recent investment will have on our service. We have made tremendous progress over the past number of years and having the ability to continue upgrading our infrastructure will result in a more modern, efficient and reliable service for our customers into the future."
Marine Atlantic's Interim Chair
Transport Canada is online at www.tc.gc.ca. Subscribe to e-news or stay connected through RSS, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Flickr to keep up to date on the latest from Transport Canada.
This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons living with visual disabilities.
SOURCE Transport Canada
For further information: Delphine Denis, Press Secretary, Office of the Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, Ottawa, 613-991-0700; Media Relations, Transport Canada, Ottawa, 613-993-0055; Tara Laing, Corporate Communications Manager, Marine Atlantic Inc., 709-772-8974 or 709-685-2128, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org