TORONTO, Aug. 11, 2015 /CNW/ - One tenant's human rights application has resulted in a province-wide agreement with one of Ontario's largest landlords. Metcap Living Management Inc. has agreed to implement a comprehensive policy and procedure relating to the accommodation of disabilities in all buildings managed by them in Ontario. Metcap manages over 20,000 rental units across the province.
"We hope other landlords follow their lead," said Bruce Best, Counsel from the Human Rights Legal Support Centre. "Accommodation of disabilities is already the law, but tenants need to know their rights and have a way to exercise those rights," continued Best.
"I am thrilled that the result is going to have an impact across Ontario," said Sparks.
Important inclusions in the new Metcap policy include:
- accepting the accommodation request in good faith
- taking an active role in possible solutions are investigated
- getting expert opinion or advice where needed
- dealing with accommodation requests in a timely way
- the Vice-President, Operations or the Property Manager will maintain carriage of the process
The Human Rights Legal Support Centre provides free legal support to people across Ontario whose human rights under Ontario's Human Rights Code have been violated.
SOURCE Human Rights Legal Support Centre
For further information: Jennifer Ramsay, Human Rights Legal Support Centre, 416-597-4958, mobile: 416-522-5931