EDMONTON, May 10, 2016 /CNW/ - Following a week of terrible upheaval and massive effort to help people displaced by the Alberta wildfires, the Canadian Red Cross will announce Wednesday detailed plans for assistance to help people with immediate needs. This disbursement will reflect the generous outpouring of support from Canadians.
Details on the announcement location and timing will be shared shortly.
Since the Alberta wildfires triggered the largest fire-related evacuation in provincial history, more than 700 Red Cross personnel have worked non-stop to register more than 80,000 people, so far. Because of this immense registration effort by the Red Cross, it is now possible to not only confirm evacuees are safe and accounted for, but also to ensure that assistance is coordinated and can reach people wherever they may now be located in Canada. The outpouring of help for those affected by the fires has been tremendous. To date, Canadians have donated $60 million to the Red Cross Alberta Fires Appeal.
Examples of how Red Cross is helping so far:
- More than 700 Red Cross staff and trained volunteers have arrived from across Canada to help evacuees at shelters, with registration, family reunification and to help meet urgent, basic needs.
- Specially trained volunteers are also providing comfort and care to those who are suffering from emotional trauma.
- Shelters offering warm beds and meals in Edmonton, Calgary, and Lac La Biche are being supported by Red Cross.
- A family reunification service is being offered to family members separated during the evacuation, and for worried relatives across Canada who are trying to find loved ones.
- Pre-existing stockpiles of relief supplies (water, hygiene kits, cots and blankets, etc.) have been distributed at shelters and other locations.
- More Red Cross staff and volunteers are on standby and ready to deploy to affected communities, as needed.
SOURCE Canadian Red Cross
For further information: Canadian Red Cross media line: 1-877-599-9602; Alberta media can call: 1-403-541-4431; Quebec media can call: 1-888-418-9111