For additional media materials, please visit: http://www.multivu.com/players/English/7901451-mcdonalds-canada-menu-favourites/
TORONTO, Aug. 10, 2016 /CNW/ - McDonald's® iconic golden arches have been in Canada for almost 50 years. Its classic menu items have become Canadian favourites across the country. Some Canadian communities love McDonald's so much that they're the capital for two menu items! The following are the leading cities* for 12 classic menu items.
Big Mac® Capital of Canada and World Famous FriesTM (Medium): Saint Hyacinthe, Quebec
- Fun fact: The Big Mac has its own jingle from the 80s
- It's no coincidence that the Big Mac and Fry capital are the same place
- Traversed by the breathtaking Yamaska River, Saint Hyacinthe is a small city known for its beautiful gardens, trails, parks for those who crave outdoor recreation
Filet-o-Fish® Capital of Canada: Burnaby, British Columbia
Egg McMuffin® Capital of Canada: Milton, Ontario
McFlurry® Capital of Canada: Waterloo, Ontario
McDonald's Poutine Capital of Canada: Sept-Iles, Quebec
- Fun fact: It's not just Sept-IIes residents who love McDonald's poutine, the top five cities are all located in Quebec
- Found between the Sainte-Marguerite and Moisie Rivers, on the north shore of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence, the seven islands include: La Grosse Boule; La Petite Boule; La Grande Basque; La Petite Basque; Île Manowin; Île du Corossol; and Îlets Dequen
Quarter Pounder with Cheese® and McDouble® Capital of Canada: North Battleford, Saskatchewan
- Fun fact: All of the 100% pure Canadian beef sourced by McDonald's Canada comes from Canadian ranchers
- North Battleford is found between the banks of the scenic North Saskatchewan and Battle Rivers and is connected to its sister-city Battleford by a 4km-long Island named 'Finlyason Island, together these cities are called the 'Battlefords'
Chicken McNuggets® Capital of Canada: Corner Brook, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Fun fact: You can see a nostalgic Nugget Buddies video story here
- City located on the west coast of Newfoundland and found at the mouth of the Bay Islands and traversed by the Long Range Mountains, beautiful landscapes fill the city with scenery of both ocean and mountains
Sausage McMuffin® with Egg Capital of Canada: Fort St. John, British Columbia
- Fun fact: McDonald's has started to purchase cage-free Canadian eggs and will purchase 100% cage free by 2025
- A scenic city traversed by the Peace River, the lush land of the Peace River Valley and close to Charlie Lake
Triple Thick Milkshake® Capital of Canada: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Vanilla Cone Capital of Canada: Steinbach, Manitoba
- Fun fact: With normal winter temperatures well below zero degrees Celsius, even we can't explain why it's the Vanilla Cone capital!
- At 50km outside of Winnipeg, Steinbach is Manitoba's third largest city and fastest growing community in the province and is primarily an agricultural community
McDonald's Strategy and Insights team pulled the average sales units from a recent 52 week period on a per city basis and divided by the number of restaurants to determine which city, town or village would earn the coveted McDonald's Canada "Capitals" title for each classic menu item.
SOURCE McDonald's Canada
Image with caption: "McDonald’s Menu Capitals: Where Canadians are Lovin’ it Most! (CNW Group/McDonald's Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160810_C4865_PHOTO_EN_750512.jpg
For further information: please contact: Jennifer Wasley, Weber Shandwick, 416-642-7903; Adam Grachnik, McDonald's Canada, 416-446-3354