TORONTO, Feb. 9, 2016 /CNW/ - Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC) is pleased to welcome Mark Sakamoto as its new Chair. An OMDC Board member since 2008, Sakamoto succeeds Kevin Shea, who retired in August after nine years.
Sakamoto is Executive Vice-President for Think Research, an international cloud-based software firm in Toronto. In that capacity he is responsible for driving all aspects of business development. A lawyer, Sakamoto has also worked for a national broadcaster and for a national law firm. He began his career as a music promoter for international live acts and co-founded Vote Out Loud, a non-profit that works with high-profile musicians to encourage political awareness and participation among young Canadians.
Sakamoto has been a significant contributor to the OMDC Board of Directors, having served as Chair of the Strategic Planning Committee and as a member of the Audit Committee. In addition to his experience at OMDC, Sakamoto sits on the Board of the University of Toronto's Trudeau Centre for Peace, Conflict and Justice at the Munk School of Global Affairs. His book, Forgiveness: A Gift from My Grandparents is a #1 national best seller.
Outgoing Chair Kevin Shea was appointed by the Premier in 2006. Under his leadership, OMDC helped build Ontario's creative industries to record levels by investing in the development and distribution of critically acclaimed digital content; by enhancing export programs to ensure that Ontario companies and products feature prominently in international markets and compete successfully on the world stage; and by initiating new programs that encourage partnerships, collaboration and innovation across sectors and borders.
"I am proud to welcome Mark Sakamoto to his new role as Chair of the Ontario Media Development Corporation. Under his leadership, OMDC is well-positioned to build on the momentum started by former Chair Kevin Shea. Mark's breadth of experience will benefit OMDC as well as the vibrant creative industries they work so hard to support."
- Michael Coteau, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport
"We are delighted that Mark has been appointed as OMDC's new Chair! His industry knowledge, strategic vision and dedication will help ensure that Ontario remains a leading global jurisdiction for cultural content creation and distribution – and that translates into jobs and investment for our province ."
- Karen Thorne-Stone, President & CEO, Ontario Media Development Corporation
"I am deeply honoured to have been appointed Chair, and I look forward to continuing to work with OMDC's dedicated Board, management and staff to ensure that Ontario remains a recognized leader in stimulating the creation of creative media content that's in demand around the world."
- Mark Sakamoto, OMDC Chair and Executive Vice President, Think Research Group
- The Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC) was established in 2000 to stimulate investment and employment in six creative industries: book and magazine publishing, music, interactive digital media, film, and television. OMDC also administers five industry tax credits.
- Ontario's creative industries contribute $12.4 billion to the Province's economy each year and employ more than 200,000 people -- they are key to ensuring a strong economy and high-value jobs in the future.
- Ontario's film and television industry contributed $1.29 billion to the province's GDP in 2014 - the fourth year in a row over the one billion dollar mark.
- Ontario has the largest interactive digital media (IDM) sector in Canada in terms of employment and revenues with a total employment of 16,000 people and IDM revenues of almost $1.5 billion.
- Magazine publishing is a $1.13 billion industry in Ontario.
- OMDC's $15 million annual Ontario Music Fund is aimed at supporting and creating jobs in the music industry, and positioning the province as a leading destination in which to record and perform.
- Ontario is home to the largest book publishing industry in Canada, with revenues of $1.23 billion – approximately two-thirds of national revenues are generated in Ontario.
Disponible en français
Ontario Media Development Corporation
175 Bloor Street East | South Tower | Suite 501 Toronto | Ontario M4W 3R8
Direct phone: 416-642-6652 | Main phone: 416-314-6858 | Fax: 416-314-6876
Unsubscribe from OMDC email communications about programs, services and events.
SOURCE Ontario Media Development Corporation
Image with caption: "Mark Sakamoto named new Chair at OMDC (CNW Group/Ontario Media Development Corporation)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160209_C4106_PHOTO_EN_616610.jpg
For further information: George McNeillie, Corporate Secretary, 416-642-6619 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org