OTTAWA, July 17, 2015 /CNW/ - Royal Galipeau, Member of Parliament for Ottawa–Orléans, was joined today by the Honourable Pierre Poilievre, Minister of Employment and Social Development, Minister for Democratic Reform, Minister for the National Capital Commission and Member of Parliament for Nepean–Carleton, to announce an investment that will help at least 150 families with chronically ill children over the next five years.
Through an investment of $2.4 million over five years, the Children`s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO), in partnership with the Champlain Complex Care Program, will create, test and roll-out an initiative that will help give concrete support to parents and caregivers of seriously ill children. The program will help families manage and overcome the huge challenges that often go hand-in-hand with complex medical conditions.
Today's announcement is just one example of what the Government is doing to help Canadian families. The Harper Government has boosted the Universal Child Care Benefit, introduced the Family Tax Cut and made improvements to the Child Care Expenses Deduction and the Children's Fitness Tax Credit.
- Over the next five years, more than 150 families will benefit from this project's innovative approaches.
- The project will:
- gather a dedicated team of individuals who possess deep, personal experience in caring for a child with complex medical needs;
- create tailored resources that help parents and caregivers navigate what can often feel like an overwhelming system of bureaucracies, to make sure they can access the government programs available to help their family; and
- find ways to share information with these families that will continue to help them as their child enters different ages and stages of life, while helping the program spread across the country to help even more families.
"Our Government is always exploring new ways to better the lives of Canadian families. We are proud to support the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario and the Champlain Complex Care Program for their innovative project, which helps families of children with complex health problems improve their situations."
– Royal Galipeau, Member of Parliament for Ottawa–Orléans
"CHEO has been an important pillar of the Ottawa community for forty years. I am pleased that this investment from our Government will allow them to continue their good work in supporting families through the social and emotional challenges they encounter having a child with complex health issues."
– Minister Pierre Poilievre, Minister of Employment and Social Development, Minister for the National Capital Commission and Member of Parliament for Nepean–Carleton
"This innovative pilot really takes a family-centered approach to helping those whose children have the most complex medical challenges—making a real difference in their lives. This is a great example of the community rallying together to help parents."
– Alex Munter, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario
Helping Families Prosper
Follow us on Twitter
SOURCE Canada's Economic Action Plan
For further information: Aaron Bell, Press Secretary, , Office of the Minister of Employment and Social Development, 819-994-2482, email@example.com; Media Relations Office, Employment and Social Development Canada, 819-994-5559, firstname.lastname@example.org