RAYMOND, AB, July 6, 2017 /CNW/ - Seniors in Raymond, Alberta will soon have a new affordable housing option in their community. Construction is now underway at the new Ridgeview Lodge, where a new, 53-unit facility will be built to replace the existing lodge.
The Governments of Canada and Alberta are investing close to $8 million in the development of the Ridgeview Lodge through the Investment in Affordable Housing Agreement. The new lodge will provide modern units for low-income seniors who require safe, affordable housing.
- The new lodge will replace the existing 32-unit facility, which was built in the 1960s.
- It will have a commercial kitchen, dining area, administration area, home care, salon and multi-purpose area for residents.
- The lodge will have a fire-suppression system including sprinklers.
- Additional funding is being provided by Ridge Country Housing. Ridge Country Housing is a foundation that provides administrative management for lodge and housing units for low-income seniors and families. The foundation was created to provide administrative management to Seniors Housing accommodation in various Southern Alberta towns.
- On June 26, 2017, the Alberta Government released the Provincial Affordable Housing Strategy, which will increase the supply of affordable housing and supports for low-income Albertans, including seniors.
"Our Government remains committed to helping seniors in Alberta and throughout the country. Projects like this one are providing safe, affordable housing to many residents in the community while creating jobs and stimulating our economy." – Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
"Seniors built this province and they deserve to retire in dignity. The new Ridgeview Lodge is an example of our commitment to making life better for seniors. We are proud to partner with the Government of Canada and Ridge County Housing on this project, as this new facility will meet the needs of many seniors in Raymond and surrounding area." - Lori Sigurdson, Minister of Seniors and Housing
"We are extremely pleased and excited to be taking this important step forward with the ground breaking for the construction of the new Ridgeview Lodge. The support and assistance provided by the Government of Canada and the Province of Alberta toward this project has allowed us to further improve and enhance options for seniors living in the community. The construction of this new seniors lodge will benefit all of our aging population in Raymond and the surrounding community, by providing them with more housing units, better and more modern accommodation, while still providing the great service that the residents of Ridgeview Lodge have grown to expect." – Tom Butler, Chair, Board of Directors, Ridge Country Housing
- CMHC has been helping Canadians meet their housing needs for more than 70 years. As Canada's authority on housing, CMHC contributes to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provides support for Canadians in housing need, and offers unbiased housing research and advice to Canadian governments, consumers and the housing industry. Prudent risk management, strong corporate governance and transparency are cornerstones of CMHC's operations. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642 or visit www.cmhc.ca.
- The Alberta government ministry of Seniors and Housing fosters the development of affordable housing and supports access to housing options for Albertans most in need. The Alberta Jobs Plan will invest $1.2 billion for affordable housing capital needs over the next five years. To achieve these outcomes, the ministry works with seniors, Albertans who require housing supports, their families and caregivers, communities and other government partners. A more detailed description of the ministry and its programs and initiatives can be found at www.seniors-housing.gov.ab.ca.
SOURCE Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
For further information: Media contacts: Émilie Gauduchon, Press Secretary, Office of Minister Duclos, 819-654-5546, Emilie.Gauduchon@hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca; Tim Chu, Press Secretary, Alberta Seniors and Housing, 780-293-8024, Timothy.Chu@gov.ab.ca; Renée Nat, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, 403-515-2963, firstname.lastname@example.org