Minister Leitch congratulates recipients of 2015 Canadian Women in Communications and Technology Leadership Excellence Awards
OTTAWA, April 23, 2015 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, announced Government of Canada funding for a new project to increase economic opportunities for women in Canada's communications and technology sectors. The Minister also took the opportunity to congratulate the recipients of the 2015 Women in Communications and Technology (WCT) awards in Ottawa.
Canadian Women in Communications and Technology (CWCT) is receiving $417,215 in funding for a 36-month project to increase the number of women in senior executive positions and on the boards of companies in the communications, media, and technical sectors across Canada. As part of the project, the organization will collaborate with corporations, universities, and financial institutions to pilot and institutionalize a professional sponsorship program for women to expand their network and connect with corporate leaders. The organization will also develop and deliver knowledge exchange activities including an online forum providing access to expert support and mentoring, as well as ongoing collaboration and information sharing in support of women's career advancement
This project was selected through the Government of Canada's call for proposals entitled Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women.
- Economic Action Plan 2015 announced an Action Plan for Women Entrepreneurs to help connect women with the tools they need to succeed in business. This Action Plan includes a series of initiatives including mentorship, networking opportunities, and increased access to financing and international markets.
- Economic Action Plan 2015 has proposed to modernize Canada's corporate governance framework. These changes include proposed amendments to the Canada Business Corporations Act to promote gender diversity among public companies using the "comply or explain" model of disclosure.
- On April 16, 2015, Minister Leitch announced a new campaign entitled It Starts with One — Be Her Champion. This campaign challenges leaders in all fields to make a difference in a woman's career by becoming her champion or mentor. Canadians can pledge to join the campaign at women.gc.ca/startwithone.
- Since 2007, the Government of Canada has invested over $153 million through Status of Women Canada in support of more than 750 community-based projects across Canada.
- Through the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada, the federal government has invested more than $60 million since 2007 in projects that promote women's economic security and prosperity.
- Economic Action Plan 2014 outlined the Government's commitment to increasing mentorship for women looking to start their own businesses and become entrepreneurs.
"Our Government's number one priority is creating jobs, growth, and long-term prosperity. That's why we are pleased to invest in this project that will advance women in Canada's digital economy while helping our economy grow and prosper at the same time."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P.
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
"We welcome the opportunity to partner with the Government of Canada on this project to increase the number of women in senior executive positions and on the boards of companies in the communications, media, and technical sectors across Canada."
Joanne Stanley, Executive Director
Canadian Women in Communications and Technology
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
For further information: media inquiries only: Andrew McGrath, Director of Communications, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646, email@example.com; For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810