$394,000 investment will create jobs, expand research and foster innovation
CALGARY, AB, Feb. 27, 2017 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada values the role of post-secondary institutions as they help equip young Canadians with the education and training they need for future careers that will help them join a strong, healthy middle class. Today, the Government of Canada is investing $394,000 in Bow Valley College, which will help foster the training needed for the well-paying middle-class jobs of today and tomorrow.
The funding was announced by the Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development.
Canada's Innovation Agenda aims to make this country a global centre for innovation—one that creates jobs, drives growth across all industries and improves the lives of all Canadians. This investment exemplifies that vision in action.
Bow Valley College will use the funding to create the Strathmore Learning and Innovation Centre. The new centre will provide people living in Strathmore and surrounding communities with learning opportunities geared toward meeting the needs of the labour market.
Total investments in this $788,000 project include:
- $394,000 from the Government of Canada; and
- $394,000 from Bow Valley College.
In total, universities and colleges throughout Alberta will receive over $500 million from the Government of Canada, the provincial government, the institutions themselves and private donors. Federal funding will be allocated through the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund, which will enhance and modernize research facilities on Canadian campuses and improve the environmental sustainability of these facilities.
"This historic investment by the Government of Canada is a down payment on the government's vision to position Canada as a global centre for innovation. That means making Canada a world leader in turning ideas into solutions, science into technologies, skills into middle-class jobs and start-up companies into global successes."
– The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence
"With this infrastructure investment, we will enhance our capacity to serve the Strathmore community and meet the needs of local students. Significant improvements to technology, collaboration areas and dedicated teaching and learning spaces will all be part of the Strathmore Learning and Innovation Centre."
– Laura Jo Gunter, President and CEO, Bow Valley College
- The Government of Canada is providing more than $225 million for research infrastructure at institutions across Alberta. Bow Valley College has been awarded $394,000 by the federal government for the creation of the Strathmore Learning and Innovation Centre.
- This investment supports Canada's Innovation Agenda, which is designed to ensure our country is globally competitive in promoting research, translating ideas into new products and services, accelerating business growth and propelling entrepreneurs from the start-up phase to international success.
- The Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund supports the Government of Canada's climate change objectives by encouraging sustainable and green infrastructure projects.
Follow Minister Bains on Twitter: @MinisterISED
SOURCE Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
For further information: Pauline Tam, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, 343-291-2500; Media Relations, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, 343-291-1777, firstname.lastname@example.org