TORONTO, Jan. 27, 2016 /CNW/ - The Ontario Energy Board (OEB) is alerting Ontarians to a possible telephone scam. The OEB has received reports that individuals, claiming to be affiliated with the Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP), were calling to request access into consumers' homes. In two incidents last week, residents were contacted about the OESP, and notified that a home inspection was a condition of the program.
The OEB wants consumers to know that the OESP application and approval process does not require a home visit. OEB staff do not conduct a home audit, check furnaces or install equipment for this or any other program.
The OEB is taking these reports very seriously and is investigating further. If we determine that a company has broken the law or OEB rules, we will take enforcement action which could include charging a penalty and suspending, or taking away, a company's licence to operate.
Consumers with questions or concerns about any sales calls or door-to-door experiences are encouraged to contact the OEB at www.ontarioenergyboard.ca within the hours of 8:30a.m. – 5p.m., Monday to Friday.
- OESP eligibility and acceptance do not require a home audit or the installation of new equipment.
- If a salesperson comes to your door, be sure to ask for identification and a business card.
- Remember, never share personal information (for example, an electricity or gas bill) with a salesperson unless you want to enter into a contract.
- If you are a customer of an electric utility and in a lower-income home, you may qualify for a reduction on your electricity bill through the OESP.
- Consumers interested in the OESP can apply online at OntarioElectricitySupport.ca or call 1-855-831-8151 for assistance.
- Eligibility for participating in the OESP is based on only two factors:
1. The number of people that live in your home; and
2. Your combined household income.
About The OEB
The Ontario Energy Board is an independent and impartial public regulatory agency. We make decisions that serve the public interest. Our goal is to promote a sustainable and efficient energy sector that provides consumers with reliable energy services at a reasonable cost.
Ce document est aussi disponible en français.
SOURCE Ontario Energy Board
For further information: Media Inquiries, 416-544-5171, email@example.com; Consumer Inquiries, 416-314-2455, 1-877-632-2727