MONTREAL, May 11, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - As part of the activities to mark the 350th anniversary of the founding of Montreal, ATSA, When Art Takes Action invites all Montrealers and media representatives to the opening of CUISINE TA VILLE, a big, free event designed to build ties with refugees, both former and current, and those who welcome them.
5 p.m | Official speeches
- Annie Roy, co-founder of ATSA, When Art Takes Action
- Kanahsohon Kevin Deer from the Kahnawá:ke Mohawk Nation will perform the sacred Thanksgiving Address
- Denis Coderre, Mayor of Montreal
- Stephan Reichhold, Executive Director of the Table de Concertation des organismes au service des personnes réfugiées et immigrantes (TCRI)
- Anne Sainte-Marie, Communications Officer, Amnesty International Canada's Francophone Branch
- Poetic performance
Also in attendance:
- Amir Khadir, MNA for Mercier (who will prepare a soup at 6 p.m. under shelter 9)
- Connie Placido, deputy cabinet director for Westmount MNA Jacques Chagnon
- Hélène Laverdière, MP for Laurier-Sainte-Marie
- Manon Gauthier, member of the Executive Committee of the Ville de Montréal, responsible for culture, heritage and design, Space for Life, and the status of women
5:30 p.m. | Activities begin under the 10 shelters installed on the Esplanade of the Place des Arts on Friday, May 12 from 5-11 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday, May 13 and 14, from 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Free.
A row of car shelters (think "Tempo") that evoke UN refugee camps, 40 "kitchen parties," testimonials and seminars, 9 exhibits, 18 film screenings, and 11 live arts performances will provide opportunities for people to meet in a spirit of coming closer together.
Activities schedule: http://www.atsa.qc.ca/cuisine-ta-ville-horaire
www.atsa.qc.ca | https://www.facebook.com/atsa97/ | @ATSAmontreal | #CuisineTaVille
Cuisine ta ville is made possible in part by the Government of Canada.
Thanks to our partners : http://atsa.qc.ca/en/cuisine-ta-ville-en-partners
Photos for editorial use: http://atsa.qc.ca/service-de-presse-2017
For further information: Media inquiries: Marie Marais: 438-933-2821 (cell), 514-845-2821, email@example.com