TORONTO, March 29 /CNW/ - XM Canada (TSX:XSR), the country's leading provider of audio entertainment and information services, today announced plans to launch the XM online+ App for BlackBerry(R) smartphones. The application will be free to download and is a new extension to the existing XM online+ service that will give BlackBerry users in Canada a portable and easy way to enjoy XM programming on-the-go, anytime, anywhere.
Starting on April 12, users can download the free App to compatible models of BlackBerry smartphones, including the BlackBerry Storm(TM), Bold(TM), Tour(TM) and Curve(TM). The App offers users access to 100 channels of XM programming including:
- exclusive, commercial-free music and live performances
- exclusive programs hosted by music legends
- 24/7 sports talk channels such as NHL Home Ice and MLB Home Plate
- talk and entertainment channels including Oprah & Friends and Cosmo
- comedy channels, including The Virus with Opie and Anthony and The
Foxxhole produced by Jamie Foxx
- world class news from partners like CNN and Fox
"There are a number of innovative applications for smartphones, making them much more than devices for phone calls or email," said Janet Gillespie, Marketing Vice-President, XM Canada. "We believe the rich programming offered at XM will make it one of the most popular apps for the BlackBerry, as subscribers are able to take the best music, talk, news and entertainment programming with them wherever they go."
XM online+ also doubles as an online player for the desktop, allowing listeners to tune in at home or at work. Starting today, consumers can log on to www.xmradio.ca/blackberry to sign-up for detailed updates about the App and can also sign-up for a free 14-day online trial of XM online+ to preview XM's programming leading up the App's launch.
XM online+ App features include:
- Access to 100 channels of commercial-free music, news, sports, talk
and comedy channels
- Access to XM's unparalleled programming from any computer in high-
quality audio (128 Kbps)
- "Favourites" function lets users save channels for fast, easy access
- "Look Around" function lets users see the current channel line-up
plus what is playing on all other available channels
- Ability to multi-task - users can send and receive emails and browse
the web without interrupting their XM experience
- $7.99 a month for XM online+ or only $2.99 a month when bundled with
an XM Canada subscription
At launch, the App will be available to download for free on the following BlackBerry models:
- Storm(TM) 9530, Storm(TM) 9550
- Bold(TM) 9000, Bold(TM) 9700
- Tour(TM) 9630
- Curve(TM) 8900, Curve(TM) 8520, Curve(TM) 8530
About Canadian Satellite Radio Holdings Inc.
Canadian Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. (TSX: XSR) operates as XM Canada and is Canada's premium digital audio entertainment and information company with the best signal coverage across the country. With 130 digital channels of choice, XM Canada offers Canadian listeners the most unique and original Canadian and international programming, including commercial-free music channels, exclusive live concerts and sports coverage, and the best in talk, comedy, children's and entertainment programming. A free 14-day trial of XM Radio is available at http://www.xmradio.ca/freetrial/. Visit www.xmradio.ca for programming and subscription information.
XM Canada is the satellite entertainment leader in the Canadian automotive market with long-term factory installation agreements with manufacturers that own close to 60 per cent share of the domestic vehicle market. XM's industry-leading products are available at shop.xmradio.ca, and at retailers nationwide.
XM programming is available by subscribing directly through XM Canada and is also available as streams of commercial-free XM music channels on TELUS Mobile Radio and Rogers Wireless Radio on Demand. XM Canada is the exclusive music channel provider on Air Canada's flights and is available in select Avis Budget Group rental vehicles.
To find out more about Canadian Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. (TSX: XSR), visit our website at www.xmradio.ca/about/.
SOURCE XM CANADA
For further information: For further information: Maricel Dicion, Cohn & Wolfe, (416) 924-5700 ext. 4084, email@example.com