Four Ontario Authors Receive Province's Top Literary Award
TORONTO, June 17, 2014 /CNW/ - Winners of Ontario's foremost prize for literary excellence, the Trillium Book Award, were announced at a dinner hosted by the Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC).
- This year's winner for the Trillium Book Award in English-language is:
Hannah Moscovitch, This is War (Playwrights Canada Press/ Banff Centre Press)
- The winner for the Trillium Book Award in French-language is:
Marguerite Andersen, La mauvaise mère (Éditions Prise de parole)
- This year's English-language winner for the Trillium Book Award for Poetry is:
Souvankham Thammavongsa, Light (Pedlar Press)
- The winner for the Trillium Book Award for Poetry in French-language is:
Daniel Groleau Landry, Rêver au réel (Les Éditions L'Interligne)
"The winners of the 2014 Trillium Book Award represent the remarkable talent of Ontario's flourishing literary community. Congratulations to all the authors who, nurtured by their publishers, have created captivating works that entertain and inspire audiences at home and abroad."
— Kevin Shea, Chair, Ontario Media Development Corporation
- The Trillium Book Award is among the most highly regarded national and international literary prizes. Previous winners have included world-renowned writers Margaret Atwood, Austin Clarke, Thomas King, Alice Munro, Andrée Lacelle and François Paré.
- The Trillium Book Award for Poetry recognizes literary achievement for a first, second or third published work of poetry.
- Trillium Book Award English-language and French-language winners receive $20,000. Publishers of the winning books each receive $2,500 towards their promotional costs. The winners of the Trillium Book Award for Poetry in English-language and French-language each receive $10,000 and their publishers receive $2,000. All finalists receive a $500 honorarium.
- Book publishing is a $1.23 billion industry in Ontario.
The Ontario government established the Trillium Book Award (Backgrounder available) in 1987 to recognize excellence, support marketing and foster increased public awareness of the quality and diversity of Ontario writers and their works. Ontario Media Development Corporation manages the Trillium Book Awards. Read about this year's winners and finalists here.
The Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC) is an agency of the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport that facilitates economic development opportunities for Ontario's cultural media industries including book and magazine publishing, film and television, music and interactive digital media industries.
BE PART OF IT
Ontario is a global hub for content creation and distribution. From digital innovation to literature, Ontario's cultural sectors contribute billions of dollars to the economy, employ hundreds of thousands of people and power some of the world's most innovative content.
For investors and creators, businesses and consumers, OMDC's investment funds and programs help bring a wealth of opportunity to Ontario. Be part of it and visit OMDC.on.ca to learn more.
Disponible en français
SOURCE: Trillium Book Awards
For further information: Contact Trillium Book Award Finalists: Jeri Brown, Trillium Publicist, Media Profile, (416) 342-1842, E-mail: email@example.com; Contact for OMDC: George McNeillie, OMDC Manager of Communications, (416) 642-6619, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Cell : (647) 286-3979; www.omdc.on.ca