Airline offers 23 more weekly flights for Okanagan travellers
CALGARY, July 24, 2017 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced more flights between Kelowna and Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto, effective November 2017. The additional service is part of the airline's schedule for the winter of 2017-18 and represents a significant increase in flights from Kelowna International Airport.
"WestJet is proud to be the largest carrier in Kelowna with more seats, flights and destinations than any other airline," said Brian Znotins, WestJet Vice-President, Network Planning, Alliances and Corporate Development. "Increased service this winter represents better connectivity, more choices and greater access to WestJet's growing network, as well as low fares and friendly, caring service for Okanagan residents and visitors to the area."
Details of WestJet's increased service from Kelowna this winter:
- Kelowna-Edmonton, from four to six times daily (continued from summer 2017), more than any other carrier.
- Kelowna-Calgary, from 44 to 47 times weekly (seven times each business day), more than any other carrier.
- Kelowna-Toronto, from five to seven times weekly.
"This increased service will greatly enhance connectivity options for our travellers. With just one stop through one of these global hubs, passengers can easily explore a number of world-wide destinations," said Sam Samaddar, Airport Director, Kelowna International Airport. "WestJet is committed to offering Okanagan residents great value and service, and we're very proud to have them as a partner, helping us serve the travel needs of our community, for the last 21 years."
WestJet also announced the addition of dozens of new flights across Canada. The additional flights deliver optimized service for both the business and leisure traveller and give Canadians greater connectivity into and out of WestJet hubs in Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto, providing more flight frequency between key routes, better scheduling and greater access from smaller airports into the wider WestJet network.
"Growing in Kelowna is typical of the kind of difference we want to make for travellers across British Columbia," said Brian Znotins. "The addition of 67 more weekly flights in and out of the province creates one-stop connections, faster travel times and better scheduling to address the demand Canadians have for travel that is convenient, stress-free and low cost."
Highlights of WestJet's 2017-18 winter schedule include:
- New non-stop weekly service from Edmonton and Vancouver to Huatulco.
- Additional flights from Toronto to a number of sun destinations including Antigua, Cancun, Fort Lauderdale, Liberia, Orlando, Nassau, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana and Montego Bay.
- Additional flights from Toronto to a number of Canadian destinations including Winnipeg and Kelowna.
- An increase of 11 weekly flights between Toronto and Calgary for a total of 10 times daily, more than any other carrier.
- An increase of 10 new weekly flights between Toronto and Ottawa for a total of 13 times daily.
- An increase of nine weekly flights between Toronto and Montreal for a total of 14 times daily.
- An increase of eight weekly flights between Toronto and Vancouver for a total of eight times daily.
- Service from both Regina and Abbotsford to Puerto Vallarta will increase by one weekly flight for a total of twice weekly.
- Additional flights from Vancouver to a number of domestic and international destinations including Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Fort St. John, Calgary, Edmonton and Fort McMurray.
- Extension of existing summer service increases through the winter, including three daily flights between Toronto and Moncton, six daily flights between Edmonton and Kelowna, six weekly flights between Edmonton and Ottawa, and 12 weekly flights between Calgary and Houston.
- This winter WestJet will operate an average of 700 daily flights to 93 destinations including 37 in Canada, 22 in the United States, 33 in Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America, and one in Europe.
For more information on new routes and increased frequencies in WestJet's 2017-18 winter schedule, please visit westjet.com/winterschedule.
We are proud to be Canada's most trusted airline and one of very few airlines globally that does not commercially overbook. Together with our regional airline, WestJet Encore, we offer scheduled service to more than 100 destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe and to more than 175 destinations in over 20 countries through our airline partnerships. WestJet Vacations offers affordable, flexible vacations to more than 60 destinations and the choice of more than 800 hotels, resorts, condos and villas. Members of the WestJet Rewards program earn WestJet dollars on flights, vacation packages and more. Members use WestJet dollars towards the purchase of WestJet flights and vacations packages on any day, at any time, to any WestJet destination with no blackout periods ̶ even on seat sales.
WestJet is publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) under the symbol WJA. For more information about everything WestJet, please visit westjet.com.
Recent recognition includes:
2017/2016 Canada's Most Trusted Airline (Gustavson School of Business at the University of Victoria)
2017 Best Airline in Canada and Travellers' Choice Winner Mid-Sized and Low Cost Airlines – North America (TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice awards for Airlines)
2016 Canada's most reputable company for Corporate Social Responsibility (Reputation Institute)
2016/2015/2014/2013/2012 Ranked top three for Canadian Brands (Canadian Business Magazine)
2016/2015/2014/2013 WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard ranked #1 in Canada (MoneySense magazine)
2015/2011/2010/2008/2007/2006/2005 Canada's Most Admired Corporate Culture (Waterstone Human Capital)
2015 Best Employers in Canada (Aon Hewitt)
Connect with WestJet on Facebook at facebook.com/westjet
Follow WestJet on Twitter at twitter.com/westjet
Subscribe to WestJet on YouTube at youtube.com/westjet
Read the WestJet blog at blog.westjet.com
For further information: Media contact: To contact WestJet media relations, please email email@example.com.