Photos and videos of Mount Royal and press briefing available here
MONTREAL, April 5, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - Les amis de la montagne announced the launch of We love the Mountain. Let's support UNESCO status for Mount Royal, a citizen mobilization campaign that allows those who love the mountain and recognize its exceptional value to sign a letter of support at www.montroyalUNESCO.ca. The purpose of this campaign is to support Mount Royal's bid to become a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is a unique opportunity to act collectively for the future of the mountain and the preservation of its natural and cultural heritage for generations to come.
Through April 26, 2017, at 11:59 pm, people who care about the mountain – citizens of Montreal or elsewhere, associations, organizations and institutions and businesses – can sign the online letter of support. Our goal is to collect over 30,000 signatures.
"Mount Royal is an iconic symbol of the city. The mountain is also fundamental to the quality of life of hundreds of thousands of Montrealers. Citizens are the best protectors of this extraordinary space where nature and culture coexist in the heart of the city. That is why we are inviting them to make a significant contribution to preserving Mount Royal by signing the letter in support of the mountain's bid for UNESCO status," said Sylvie Guilbault, Executive Director of Les amis de la montagne.
"Mount Royal is one of Montreal's greatest attractions," said Mr. Réal Ménard, City of Montréal Executive Committee Member in charge of Sustainable Development, the Environment, Large Parks and Green Spaces. "It is a source of pride and a source of collective well-being. This citizens' campaign is a unique opportunity to rally around a unifying initiative that seeks to protect this unique heritage site at the heart of the city."
Why support Mount Royal for UNESCO status?
Because Mount Royal is:
- a symbolic place for several communities, including the First Nations, Montreal's founding communities and the more recent cultural communities
- an emblematic feature of Montreal and Québec's identity
- a heritage site recognized by the Québec Government
- exceptional landscapes and breathtaking views
- an invaluable natural treasure defined by its rich biodiversity
- neighbourhoods characterized by great livability and walkability for residents, students and business
- a large urban park designed by renowned landscape architect Frederick Law Olsmted
- vast green spaces that welcome locals and visitors by the millions
- pastoral cemeteries where our ancestors rest
- a territory where spiritual, educational and health institutions coexist
In short, Mount Royal is an exceptional territory that requires a global vision guided by the highest standards of protection of our natural and cultural heritage… those which have been set by UNESCO.
To sign the letter of support by April 26, 2017, please visit www.montroyalUNESCO.ca.
About Les amis de la montagne
Les amis de la montagne is a registered charity founded in 1986 that is dedicated to protecting and enhancing Mount Royal by focusing on community involvement and environmental education.
This initiative is made possible by the participation of Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton and NATIONAL Public Relations.
SOURCE Les Amis de la montagne
For further information: Marie-Christine Garon, NATIONAL Public Relations, 514 409.0031, email@example.com