Thirty Aviva Community Fund finalists are one step closer to winning a share of $1 million
TORONTO, Nov. 7, 2016 /CNW/ - Today, Aviva Canada is thrilled to announce the 30 finalists of the 2016 Aviva Community Fund (ACF). In a mere 18 days, Canadians cast more than three million votes for the over 450 ideas submitted for funding. This reflects a 26% increase in ideas submitted and over five times the number of votes cast compared to last year's campaign.
"We're in awe that in year eight, the Aviva Community Fund continues to resonate at the grassroots level and meet new and emerging needs in communities across Canada," says Debora Hendrickson, Senior Vice President, Customer & Marketing, Aviva Canada. "We're so proud of the positive impact ACF has in communities from coast to coast. We can't wait to announce the grand prize winners on December 6."
The 30 finalists moving on in the ACF competition will be evaluated by an independent panel of judges, who will determine the grand prize winning ideas. Non-grand prize winning finalists will receive a $5,000 donation to their charity of choice.
This year's judges include Elissa Beckett (Tides Canada), Ian Foo (Aviva Canada), Marina Glogovac (CanadaHelps.org), Fred Morison (Morison Insurance Brokers Inc.), Debra Shime (United Way), Paula Speevack (Volunteer Canada) and Samina Talat (Canadian Red Cross). Each judge brings a unique perspective and passion to the competition, to ensure the best ideas win funding. To meet our judges, click here.
Aviva Canada congratulates the 30 finalists listed below by funding category:
Community Development finalists
- McGirr Elementary Playground Upgrade (Nanaimo, BC)
- Projector and Screen for Columbia Valley Centre (Invermere, BC)
- Revitalization of The Hub (Vancouver, BC)
- Bashaw - A Place for Everyone (Bashaw, AB)
- Riverstone Playground (Grand Prairie, AB)
- I Am Awesome! (And I Know It!) Self Esteem Retreat (Fort Frances, ON)
- Swan Lake Newfoundland Tour (Toronto, ON)
- Love, Dignity, and Respect (Moncton, NB)
- Share the Harvest, Feed the People! (Moncton, NB)
- Dartmouth North Good Food Market & Café (Dartmouth, NS)
Community Health finalists
- Ecole Quarterway Nature Inspired Play Space (Nanaimo, BC)
- Oliver Community Fundraising Park Project (Oliver, BC)
- We Play For Shaye (Prince Albert, SK)
- Holy Redeemer Catholic School's Playground (Kanata, ON)
- Jessica's House - a residential hospice (Exeter, ON)
- Keeping the cancer journey close to home (North Bay, ON)
- Un jardin thérapeutique à La Maison Aube-Lumière (Sherbrooke, QC)
- Building Renovations for Temporary Shelter (Woodstock, NB)
- Caleb's Courage Fund for Pediatric Palliative Care (Cape Breton Island, NS)
- Sacred Heart Academy Playspace with Heart Project (Marystown, NL)
Community Resilience finalists
- Emma's Acres Food Sustainability (Mission, BC)
- Food Forest (Owen Sound, ON)
- Pathway to Progress - Building a Resilient Future (Tecumseh, ON)
- Raptor Rehabilitation Flight Pen (Georgina, ON)
- Wildlife Veterinary Hospital (Caledon, ON)
- Des jardins à partager partout! (Trois-Rivières, QC)
- Ferme Urbaine (Montréal, QC)
- Grand nettoyage de la rivière du Chêne (Sainte-Thérèse, QC)
- SLAquaponie au Cégep de Rimouski (Rimouski, QC)
- Une serre à rénover pour des légumes à partager (Oka, QC)
About Aviva Canada
Aviva Canada is one of the leading property and casualty insurance groups in the country, providing home, automobile, leisure/lifestyle and business insurance to more than three million customers. A wholly-owned subsidiary of UK-based Aviva plc, the company has more than 4,000 employees focused on creating a bright and sustainable future for our customers and our communities.
Aviva Canada invests in positive change through the Aviva Community Fund, Canada's longest running online community funding competition. Since its inception in 2009, the Aviva Community Fund has awarded $6.5 million to over 222 charities and community groups nationwide. Aviva Canada, bringing over 300 years of good thinking and insurance solutions to Canadians from coast to coast.
For more information visit avivacommunityfund.org, our Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn pages.
SOURCE Aviva Canada Inc.
For further information: Media Contact: Priscilla Wong, PR Specialist, Aviva Canada, Desk: 416-288-6780, Cell: 647-208-7523, Priscilla.email@example.com