Corporate giving supported with new Supporting Families in Need program
MISSISSAUGA, ON, June 16, 2014 /CNW/ - In celebration of its 20th anniversary, and to build on its corporate giving initiatives, Walmart is launching Supporting Families in Need, a charity platform that speaks to the company's commitment to making a difference in Canadian communities.
Supporting Families in Need is a brand that speaks to Walmart Canada's philanthropic initiatives, which are designed to have national scope and local impact. This new charity platform primarily supports three national charities, for which Walmart is the biggest national sponsor: Children's Miracle Network to help families with sick children; Breakfast Club of Canada to help children start their day with a healthy breakfast; and the Canadian Red Cross to provide consistent, dependable funding to allow the organization to act immediately when disaster strikes.
"Our mission is to save people money so they can live better. We take the 'live better' part of our mission seriously," said Shelley Broader, president and chief executive officer for Walmart EMEA and Canada. "We are committed to the communities we serve: since 1994, Walmart has donated and raised over $200 million dollars to support families in need."
To mark its 20th anniversary, Walmart Canada's three national charities have come together to say thank you through a national advertising campaign. In the next few weeks, ads featuring Canadians holding 'thank-you Walmart' cards will appear on billboards, newspapers and televisions across the country. These ads will also recognize Canadians on Walmart's behalf for enabling the retailer to meet its charitable goals.
In addition, to put faces and names to the individuals who have benefitted from the past 20 years of contributions, Walmart and its charitable partners have created personalized videos. Canadians can watch the videos on www.walmart.ca/thankyoucanada.
Canadians Invited to Give Thanks
Canadians will also have the opportunity to join in the celebrations and to give thanks to those who have made a difference in their own lives. As part of the 20th anniversary celebrations, Walmart.ca will launch Thanks to you, a pay-it-forward-style social media campaign through which Canadians can acknowledge their most loyal supporters with a heartfelt e-card and message. Every person thanked, and everyone who sends thanks, will be randomly selected to win a $250 Walmart gift card.
Additional Anniversary Activities
Twentieth anniversary celebrations – and more fundraising events – will also take place at store level. On June 28, Walmart stores across Canada will be holding Supporting Families in Need Day with barbecues and other interactive activities to raise money for Walmart's charitable partners. Customers will also be asked to "round up at the register," and by doing so, the additional proceeds from their payments will be split evenly between Children's Miracle Network, Breakfast Club of Canada and the Canadian Red Cross. Walmart Canada will then match the funds raised up to a maximum of $100,000.
Facts about Walmart Canada's charitable giving program
- Since 1994, Walmart Canada has raised and donated over 200 million dollars.
- As Children Miracle Network's top corporate sponsor, Walmart Canada helps the 4,900 children who receive medical care every day from the Children's Miracle Network member hospitals.
- Walmart Canada helps the Breakfast Club of Canada serve over 145,000 breakfasts every day.
- Money contributed through Walmart Canada's annual campaign provides the reliable, dependable funding needed to support Canadian Red Cross when disaster strikes.
Fun Facts about Walmart Canada's history in Canada:
- The company estimates that the equivalent of one in 100 Canadians has at some point worked for Walmart.
- Walmart Canada serves more than one million customers every day, that's the Canadian population in one month.
- Walmart Canada's square footage is the equivalent of 571 Canadian football fields.
- Walmart Canada has more than tripled the number of stores in 20 years—122 in 1994 to over 390 in 2014.
- Walmart stores range in size from 42,000 to 220,000 square feet. The smallest is in Prince Rupert and the largest is in Mississauga.
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada operates a growing chain of 390 locations nationwide serving more than one million customers each day, as well as its flagship online store, www.walmart.ca, which is visited by over 400,000 Canadians daily. With 95,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is ranked one of the country's top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada is focused on helping people in need. Since 1994, Walmart has donated and raised more than $200 million to Canadian charities and not-for-profit organizations. Additional company information can be found at walmart.ca/thankyoucanada, walmartcanada.ca, facebook.com/walmartcanada and at twitter.com/@walmartcanada.
About Walmart Canada's Charity Partners
- Children's Miracle Network –raises funds for 14 children's hospitals across Canada to provide medical care, research and offer education to assist children overcome injuries and illnesses.
- Breakfast Club of Canada – one in seven kids goes to school hungry each day in Canada which makes learning difficult. This organization ensures children across the nation receive a nutritious breakfast.
- Canadian Red Cross – Any time a natural disaster hits and people's lives and health are at risk, the Canadian Red Cross is there with trained volunteers providing essential help.
SOURCE: Walmart Canada
For further information: Hilary Lawton, APEX Public Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org, 416-934-2123