- The implementation of preliminary recommendations of consulting experts.
- The deployment of VIA Rail Personnel at railway crossings to provide supplementary support and maintenance to AWDs, and to ensure that motorists and pedestrians stop at each crossing.
- The operation of trains at reduced speed at six Barrhaven crossings.
- An investigation by Ottawa City Police into possible tampering.
- The establishment of a dedicated web page for specific and additional information www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/information-ottawa-area-residents.
Representing VIA Rail at the Council meeting will be Steve Del Bosco, Interim President and Chief Executive Officer and Marc Beaulieu, Chief of Transport and Regional General Manager, Eastern Canada. Aaron Branston, Eng., P.Eng., Vice-President, Engineering and Maintenance, will represent RailTerm.
To access the most current information related to the Barrhaven-area rail crossings, Ottawa residents can go to www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/information-ottawa-area-residents, or follow VIA Rail on Twitter @VIA_rail or on Facebook.
About VIA Rail Canada
As Canada's national rail passenger service, VIA Rail Canada's mandate is to provide safe, efficient and economical travel, in both official languages of our country. VIA Rail operates intercity, regional and transcontinental trains linking 450 communities across its 12,500 km network. Recipient of the Railway Association of Canada's Safety Award in 2012 for the 11th time in 12 years, and of Baxter Travel Media's 2013 Agent's Choice Award (voted on by Canadian travel agents), VIA Rail safely transports nearly four million passengers annually. Since 2007, the Government of Canada has invested more than a billion dollars in VIA Rail. Follow the progress of our transformation at viarail.ca/transformingvia.
Follow us on our Evolution Blog at viaevolution.ca, on Twitter @VIA_rail and on Facebook.
SOURCE: VIA Rail Canada Inc.
For further information: Jacques C. Gagnon, Senior Manager, Media and Community Relations, VIA Rail Canada, 514 871-6604 | 1 877 393-8787, email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org