SUDBURY, ON, March 25 /CNW/ - The United Steelworkers (USW) today said that the union was grateful that Superior Court Justice Robbie D. Gordon's order permits the union to maintain eight picketers per picket line at Vale Inco's Sudbury operations, where 3,000 Steelworkers are in the ninth month of a bitter strike.
In his March 24, 2010 decision, Justice Gordon resisted the company's initial written request to ban all picketing at Vale's Sudbury operations and then its revised oral request in court that picketing be severely restricted to three picketers per picket line. Further, the judge did not limit the number of picketers for the union's secondary picketing at Vale's contractors' business locations.
"We appreciate that our freedom to express ourselves and inform the public about Vale's record of abusing workers has been affirmed once more" said John Fera, President of USW Local 6500.
"The Union does not believe that the most recent court order will have any negative impact on union members' persistent participation in all events aimed at pressuring Vale to return to the negotiating table and to bargain a fair contract with the USW," Fera added.
Last week, about 5,000 participants marched and rallied in support of the striking workers. Earlier in the week, the union announced plans to sponsor a joint global "week of action" to demonstrate its disapproval of Vale's destructive behaviour during the eight-month strike.
SOURCE United Steelworkers (USW)
For further information: For further information: Bob Gallagher, USW Communications, (416) 434-2221, (416) 544-5966, firstname.lastname@example.org; Myles Sullivan, USW Staff Representative, (705) 675-2461, x224