A typical household can expect savings of 11-20 per cent
CHATHAM, ON, March 11, 2015 /CNW/ - Union Gas today announced it has applied to the Ontario Energy Board for a decrease in the rates its customers will pay for natural gas. Residential customers who buy gas from the utility can expect an 11- 20 per cent decrease in their annual natural gas bill – a $120-168 average annual savings, depending on location. The rate change, if approved, would go into effect on April 1, 2015.
"These rate changes reflect a decrease in the market prices we expect to pay for natural gas over the next year," said Steve Baker, president of Union Gas. "Natural gas continues to be the most affordable energy source for space and water heating and costs significantly less than electricity, fuel oil or propane."
Natural gas prices have declined dramatically in the past five years due to the discovery of plentiful new supplies, and are lower today than they were 10 years ago. Although weather-related fluctuations such as those experienced last winter can occur, long-term forecasts suggest that natural gas will continue to be the most economical source of energy for homes and business.
In addition to lower natural gas prices, Union Gas can help customers realize even greater savings by improving the energy efficiency of their homes. For energy-saving advice, rebates and promotions visit uniongas.com/residential/save-money-energy.
Some energy conservation tips include:
- Get your furnace serviced. A furnace operating at peak efficiency uses less energy and costs less to operate. Change filters at least every two months.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Save up to $100/year on gas bills. For a $25 rebate coupon, go to uniongas.com/ residential/save-money-energy.
- Cut your water-heating bill by up to $100 a year when you order a free ($60 value) Energy Savings Kit from Union Gas. The kit includes an energy-efficient showerhead, kitchen and bathroom faucet aerator, hot water pipe insulation and an installation guide.
- Keep the heat indoors and the cold outdoors. Caulking and weather-stripping windows, doors, the dryer and other vents is the fastest way to reduce monthly bills by. By doing this, you can save up to 15 per cent on your monthly heating bill.
- Do an energy audit: Evaluating the energy efficiency of your home will help you identify the improvements that will give you the most value for your money.
About Union Gas
Union Gas Limited is a major Canadian natural gas storage, transmission and distribution company based in Ontario with 100 years of experience and service to customers. The distribution business serves about 1.4 million residential, commercial and industrial customers in more than 400 communities across northern, southwestern and eastern Ontario. Union Gas, named one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2015, is a Spectra Energy (NYSE: SE) company with assets of $6.4 billion and approximately 2,200 employees. For more information, visit uniongas.com or find us on Twitter: twitter.com/uniongas, Facebook: facebook.com/uniongas and YouTube: youtube.com/user/uniongas.
SOURCE Union Gas Limited
For further information: Union Gas Limited, Andrea Stass, Manager, External Communications and Media Relations, Ph: 519 436-5490 or 1-800-571-8446 ext. 5005490, Cell: 519 365-1010, email@example.com