TORONTO, March 7, 2015 /CNW Telbec/ - VIA Rail Canada (VIA Rail) wishes to inform its customers that, due to CN derailment near the Northern Ontario Community of Gogama, train # 1 due to depart from Toronto to Vancouver at 10 PM tonight is cancelled.
- Are being informed of the train cancellation by email and telephone calls.
- 76 passengers booked to travel from Toronto.
- 19 from other locations between Toronto and Winnipeg.
- All are eligible to a full refund.
- Those desiring to change their reservation for the next train may do so at the same price but are to be informed the train may not operate as we have not been informed yet of the line clearance.
- Those desiring to begin their trip on train #1 from Winnipeg are entitled to a partial refund for the Toronto-Winnipeg segment.
- Customers are responsible for making their own plans for travel from Toronto to Winnipeg.
- VIA Rail will not be providing alternate transportation.
Train # 2, which departed from Vancouver Friday, March 6, at 8:30 PM and that is scheduled to arrive in Winnipeg at 8:45 PM on Sunday, March 8, will terminate its route in that city. The service is being cancelled between Winnipeg and Toronto.
All the passengers:
- For passengers beginning their trip in Winnipeg or other locations between Winnipeg & Toronto, policy described for train 1# applies.
- 86 passengers affected by cancellation.
- Passengers boarding in Winnipeg, Sioux Lookout, Armstrong, HornePayne, Sudbury and Parry Sound will receive an email informing them of cancellation of the service from Winnipeg to Toronto.
- For passengers currently on board train # 2 travelling to Toronto, VIA Rail will be looking into providing alternate transportation.
Sunday night, March 8, Train # 1 will operate from Winnipeg to Vancouver using train # 2's equipment currently en route (will stop in Winnipeg Sunday night and turn and operate from Winnipeg Monday as train #2).
VIA Rail regrets the inconvenience this situation may cause. For more information, customers may call 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245) or 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired), or visit VIA Rail's website at viarail.ca.
About VIA Rail Canada
As Canada's national rail passenger service, VIA Rail Canada (viarail.ca) and its 2,500 employees are mandated to provide safe, efficient and economical passenger transportation service, in both official languages of our country. VIA Rail operates intercity, regional and transcontinental trains linking 450 communities across Canada, and safely transports nearly four million passengers annually. The Corporation was awarded seven Safety Awards by the Railway Association of Canada over the last eight years, and was the recipient of the 2012 Agent's Choice Award voted by Canadian travel agents and presented by Baxter Travel Media. Since 2007, the Government of Canada has invested almost a billion dollars in VIA Rail. Read more about our transformation at viarail.ca/CapitalInvestmentProjects.
Follow us on our Evolution Blog at viaevolution.ca - On Twitter @VIA_rail and @VIARailPrez - On Facebook.
SOURCE VIA Rail Canada Inc.
For further information: Marie-Anna Murat, Director, Corporate Communications, VIA Rail Canada, 1 877 393-8787, email@example.com