THORNHILL, ON, June 18, 2014 /CNW/ - Severe thunderstorms, torrential downpours and flash floods are becoming more common in Ontario. That's why CAA Insurance Company (Ontario) is reminding homeowners that water damage caused by sudden, heavy rains can be avoided.
Tips for preparing your home:
- Extend downspouts so that rainwater flows away from your home.
- Install flood shields on all basement windows above ground level.
- Ensure the grading around your yard slopes away from your home.
- In older homes, make sure you have a properly installed backflow valve to prevent sewage back up in your home. Backflow valves are designed to automatically close when they detect water trying to enter your home from the sewer, stopping potential water damage.
- Review your insurance policy. Know what is and isn't covered.
During major storms and torrential downpours, CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) recommends the following tips for drivers:
- Do not drive through standing water. Attempting to drive through flooded streets may cause your engine to stall, your brakes to fail and even result in severe damage if you try to restart the engine.
- Even if the water appears shallow enough to drive through, don't try it.
- Plan your route to avoid low-lying areas if possible.
- If you don't have to drive, stay off the roads.
- If you become stranded and your car stalls, call CAA for help. If you feel your safety is at risk, call 9-1-1 immediately. CAA offers 24-hour roadside service, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Drivers can request roadside assistance by phone or online.
Flood waters can potentially damage your vehicle's electrical and exhaust systems, wheel bearings and brakes, as well as, your airbags.
If you have driven through standing water, have a professional inspect your vehicle. CAA can help you find a reliable repair facility.
For over a hundred years, CAA has been helping Canadians stay mobile, safe and protected. CAA South Central Ontario is one of nine auto clubs across Canada providing roadside assistance, automotive care, travel products, insurance services and member savings for more than 1.9 million members.
SOURCE: CAA South Central Ontario
For further information: Media contact: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Consultant, CAA SCO, email@example.com, Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Consultant, CAA SCO firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.