Canada's #1 weather app enters into growing wearable technology market
OAKVILLE, ON, June 25, 2015 /CNW/ - Today, Pelmorex Media Inc., parent company of The Weather Network and MétéoMédia, announced the launch of The Weather Network app for Apple Watch, available for free on the App Store. Designed specifically for Apple Watch, the app provides users with quick and easy access to localized weather forecasts and relevant content.
The Weather Network's app for Apple Watch is the most recent addition to the company's iOS app family, which includes the popular iPhone app, used by over 4.5 million Canadians every month.
"The Apple Watch is one of the must-have tech accessories this year and as Canada's leading weather provider, we strive to remain on the forefront of where our users are headed," said Naomi Lipowski, Director TV Apps & Emerging Technologies, Pelmorex Media Inc. "It's a priority for us to be available on the newest technologies so Canadians have access to the information they need to plan their day. This is another example of the continuous innovation that reinforces The Weather Network's position as a leader in the technology industry."
Leveraging its multi-platform success with past weather applications, The Weather Network's inaugural Apple Watch app provides users with the ability to receive forecasts and more at a glance. This easy-to-use app appeases Canadians' need for up-to-date weather information, with features such as:
- Detailed localized forecasts – Current weather conditions and "feels like" temperature are available on the glance screen.
- Secondary weather data – By simply tapping on the glance screen and swiping upwards, additional weather information including wind, humidity, yesterday's high/low and atmospheric pressure are easily accessible.
- Push notifications – Severe weather and storm alerts are always visible on the glance screen or in the app when applicable. A quick tap on the alert icon provides additional details on the approaching storm.
- Precip Start Stop – Forecasting the start and stop times of precipitation within a 10-minute period. Precip Start Stop will be displayed on the top screen if rain is expected in the next hour or so.
- Visually dynamic weather backgrounds – Beautiful images reflect the users' current weather conditions and location, providing a more stimulating user experience.
- Multiple saved locations – By simply swiping left, detailed weather information for favourite locations can be easily retrieved.
The Weather Network also offers weather apps for mobile and tablet devices such as Android, Blackberry and Windows, PC and Mac computers, as well as interactive and Connected TV apps.
About Pelmorex Media Inc.
Celebrating 26 years, Pelmorex Media Inc. is the parent company of The Weather Network, MétéoMédia, and Eltiempo.es. Pelmorex operates in Canada, the US, Spain and the UK. The Weather Network and its French counterpart MétéoMédia are Canada's most popular weather and information services on TV, web and smartphone apps. Eltiempo is Spain's leading multi-platform weather information provider. Pelmorex also operates Canada's National Alerting Aggregation and Dissemination System (NAADS) which aggregates and distributes emergency alerts issued by authorized government agencies. Pelmorex has been named one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies for nine consecutive years.
SOURCE Pelmorex Media Inc.
For further information: To arrange an interview, please contact: Becky Brescacin, High Road, 416-644-1398, email@example.com