Interactive app provides personalized, local forecasts to Android TV users
OAKVILLE, ON, Aug. 17, 2015 /CNW/ - Pelmorex Media Inc., parent company of The Weather Network, announced today that its weather application is now available worldwide on Android TV, bringing detailed weather information to Google's new TV platform. Designed specifically for Android TV, The Weather Network Android TV interactive app allows for rapid discovery of local detailed and personalized content.
Using groundbreaking Over the Top (OTT) technology, the Android TV app is the most recent addition to the company's rapidly growing app family and is a testament to The Weather Network's innovative and forward-thinking approach, solidifying its position as an international leader in weather apps. For Canadians, this TV app complements The Weather Network's existing app platforms, provides personalized and local weather forecasts, makes it easier for users to access their favourite weather content and offers up-to-date information for their region.
"The Android TV app showcases The Weather Network's commitment to delivering a compelling consumer experience," said Pierre Morrissette, Chairman, President and CEO, Pelmorex Media Inc. "Accessing interactive content from the internet has been a reality for many years and the TV screen is no longer an exception. We are aggressively pursuing opportunities in the TV app market, which also includes enhanced OTT offerings for our cable and satellite distribution partners who already carry our complimentary linear TV channels."
Leveraging its multi-platform success with past weather applications, The Weather Network Android TV app provides users with on-demand access to new features that have yet to be seen on Android TV. With a click of a television remote, users have access to key weather data and alerts through a simple, dynamic and efficient user interface. Designed for an up to 10-foot TV viewing experience, key features include:
- IP targeted localized forecasts: Personalized and localized forecasts are available, showing current and upcoming weather conditions.
- PointCast technology: PointCast technology provides weather information as close as one kilometer of where you are.
- Enhanced weather content: Current, Hourly, 36 Hours and 14 Day forecasts are provided for a user's favourite locations.
- Video gallery: A collection of video on demand clips, including a Global Force of Nature video series, showcase images of the latest active and major weather events happening around the world.
- User submitted content: Scroll through or auto play users' photos submitted from around the world.
- Weather, Radar and Traffic Flow maps: With support from pan and zoom functionality, users can keep an eye on up-to-date weather, radar and traffic maps.
- Voice control: Using simple voice commands, weather, videos and photos are searchable via voice activation.
The Weather Network Android TV app is available in g.co/play/weatherTV.
About Pelmorex Media Inc.
Celebrating 26 years, Pelmorex Media Inc. is the parent company of The Weather Network, MétéoMédia, Eltiempo.es and Wetterplus.de. Pelmorex operates in Canada, the US, Spain, the UK and Germany. The Weather Network and its French counterpart MétéoMédia are Canada's most popular weather and information services on TV, web and smartphone apps. Eltiempo is Spain's leading multi-platform weather information provider. Pelmorex also operates Canada's National Alerting Aggregation and Dissemination System (Alert Ready) which aggregates and distributes emergency alerts issued by authorized government agencies.
SOURCE Pelmorex Media Inc.
For further information: or to arrange an interview, please contact: Sara Stratton, High Road, firstname.lastname@example.org, 416-644-2258