LAVAL, QC, Aug. 10 /CNW Telbec/ - Concerned about making it increasingly easy to organize travelling on its network, the Société de transport de Laval (STL) is launching a text messaging application to further add to its mobile services: From now on, you can receive full information on schedules, detours and delays on your favourite bus routes, right from your cellphone, and all in real time.
The text messaging application offers two services to network users: To begin with, in order to find out the schedule for one or more bus routes at a given stop, just send a message to 511STL (511785), including the stop number (Chronobus) and the route number, if desired. The STL will then send you a message containing the time when the next six buses on that route will be passing by that stop. In addition, you can register for specialized service on MySTL at www.stl.laval.qc.ca in order to receive detour or delay alerts regarding your favourite bus routes directly on your mobile phone.
This new application comes within the STLSynchro service, which consists of such features as electronic displays at stops, an audio and video system aboard the buses, the website, Facebook and Twitter applications, Synchro applications for smart phones as well as registration on MySTL. The information, in all its forms, is announced in real time, in a practical, user-friendly way.
With this new tool that simplifies travelling on its network, the STL is contributing toward improving the use of mass transit, thereby encouraging a sustainable lifestyle on Laval territory.
The STL, facts and figures
- The STL operates over 20 million runs annually.
- The overhaul of the bus network, made necessary by the extension of the
metro to Laval, gave rise to a 28% increase in service, faster trips
and more direct bus routes.
- The frequency of buses outside rush hours, on evenings and weekends,
has doubled on 12 routes since August 2009.
- The fare policy is particularly designed to encourage families to use
public transit: All adults paying their fare on weekends and holidays
may be accompanied, free of charge, by up to five children age 11 and
under. This policy also applies to every day in the summer, July 1 -
Labour Day. In addition, the STL's $1 fares on summer smog days are a
first in Québec.
- It is also partnering with the Association québécoise de lutte contre
la pollution atmosphérique, Communauto and The Carpooling Network to
promote sustainable transportation in Laval.
- All vehicles on its fleet use biodiesel B5.
- The STL has its own page on Facebook and Twitter, where it announces
- The STL offers riders the opportunity to register on MySTL to receive
notices on the bus routes that they usually take.
- Since the roll-out, in 2009, of its vehicle scheduling control system,
the STL's on-time performance has been on the rise, to over 92%.
- In February 2010, STL Chairman Jean-Jacques Beldié received the Guy-
Chartrand award, in the Public Transit Development and Improvement
SOURCE Société de transport de Laval
For further information: For further information: Marie-Céline Bourgault, Director, Communications & Marketing, Société de transport de Laval, 450 662-5429, firstname.lastname@example.org