MONTREAL, Nov. 17, 2015 /CNW/ - In a gala hosted by Rx&D's Health Research Foundation (HRF) in partnership with Prix Galien Canada and Research Canada and in front of Canada's health research leaders, some of the greatest achievements in the life sciences ecosystem were recognized and lauded tonight.
Recipients of the HRF's Medal of Honour, the Prix Galien Canada awards and the Research Canada Leadership Award include:
- The Health Research Foundation Medal of Honour has been awarded to Dr. Norman Campbell. Dr. Campbell led the creation of a clinical guideline program that has been associated with a five-fold increase in the control of hypertension in Canada.
- The Research Canada Leadership Award has been given to Dr. John Bergeron for sharing his knowledge and passion for health research with others through writing and speaking, and for his lead role in growing community, provincial and national awareness related to health research.
- The Prix Galien Research Award has been given to Dr. John Kelton and Dr. Theodore Warkentin of McMaster University for their extensive studies of the mechanisms, manifestations, diagnosis and possible treatments of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia.
- The Prix Galien Innovative Product Award has been given to Boehringer-Ingelheim (Canada) LTD for afatinib (Giotrif). Giotrif is a second generation tyrosine kinase inhibitor that differs from first-generation tyrosine kinase inhibitors by irreversibly inhibiting HER2 and HER4 receptors in addition to the tyrosine kinase activity of EGFR, and, in non-small cell lung cancer clinical trials, demonstrating prolonged progression-free survival, improved quality of life, and an overall survival benefit compared with standard chemotherapy in patients harbouring an EGF Del19 mutation.
- The HRF Medal of Honour was first awarded in 1945 and recognizes remarkable individuals whose research or contributions to public policies supportive of research and development in Canada have achieved international recognition. Recipients have made pivotal contributions to the advancement of knowledge in health sciences and/or the improvement of therapeutics healthcare
- The Prix Galien Canada is the most prestigious award in the field of Canadian pharmaceutical research and innovation, recognizing the efforts and achievements of pharmaceutical research and development
- The Research Canada Leadership Award honours champions in health research advocacy and is given on an annual basis to recognize outstanding efforts in advocating for Canadian health research at the local, provincial and/or national level
"Dr. Norman Campbell's contribution to Canadian healthcare has made an immense difference in the lives of people living with hypertension. This significant contribution to Canadian healthcare is celebrated this evening and in the lives of patients. " – Mel Cappe, Chair, Rx&D's Health Research Foundation
"Prix Galien is our country's most prestigious award for pharmaceutical research, recognizing Canadian researchers who have made major contributions to our understanding of the discovery, development and utilization of pharmacologic agents (the Prix Galien Research Award) as well as innovative products that have had substantial Canadian input into their development and regulatory approval (the Prix Galien Innovative Product Award)." – Bernard Lachapelle, Prix Galien Canada
"Dr. Bergeron is one of the world's most accomplished cell biologists and has been a strong and effective advocate for health research in Canada and internationally. He has undertaken advocacy work that has generated support and raised awareness among policy makers and the media about the nature of health research and its economic and other special benefits to Canadians." – Dr. Ryan Wiley, Chair of the Board of Directors, Research Canada
About Rx&D's Health Research Foundation
The Rx&D Health Research Foundation is a non-profit organization whose mission is to support and promote the value of health research in Canada. By applying the highest standards of scientific excellence, addressing health challenges and establishing partnerships, HRF, one of the leading private health foundations in the country, contributes significantly to the prevention and treatment of disease, to a better health care system and the availability for Canadians to access effective health products.
About The Prix Galien
The Prix Galien is the most prestigious award in the field of Canadian pharmaceutical research and innovation. Referred to as the Nobel Prize of pharmaceutical research, it recognizes the efforts and achievements of pharmaceutical research and development. The Prix Galien Canada is organized by Innovation Life Canada, a non-profit organization whose mission is to celebrate Canadian innovation in the life sciences.
About Research Canada
Research Canada is a national, broad-based alliance dedicated to increasing investments in health research through collaborative advocacy. We believe health research is a shared benefit, shared responsibility and an investment in Canada's future. We engage government, academia, industry and non-profit sectors to build support for balanced and long-term health research funding – investments that strengthen Canada's innovation system and lead to better health, sustainable health care, new commercialization opportunities, and skilled jobs for Canadians. Only through sustained and balanced investments in health research will Canada succeed in keeping its citizens the healthiest and most prosperous in the world.
SOURCE Canada's Research-Based Pharmaceutical Companies (Rx&D)
Image with caption: "L-R : Cheryl Cann, Dr. Norman Campbell, Dr. Theodore Warkentin, Dr. John Kelton, Dr. John Bergeron (CNW Group/Canada's Research-Based Pharmaceutical Companies (Rx&D))". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20151117_C5876_PHOTO_EN_547912.jpg
For further information: Sarah Douglas, Media Relations, Rx&D, Telephone: 613-883-7250, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org