OTTAWA, Jan. 24, 2017 /CNW/ - The Public Policy Forum (PPF) is pleased to host, with sponsorship from the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC), an upcoming symposium entitled Disaster-Proofing Canada: Financial Preparedness for Natural Catastrophes. The half-day event will be held in Ottawa on Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2017.
This important symposium will bring together experts from around the world to help raise awareness about the impacts of natural catastrophes on financial systems and governments. This awareness is a critical element in creating a culture of preparedness for when future disasters strike.
The PPF and IBC have lined up an exciting roster of international and Canadian speakers who are experts in their respective fields. Key presenters include:
- The Honourable Dr. Steven Chu, United States Secretary of Energy (2009-2013); Nobel Prize-winning physicist and Professor, Stanford University.
- Alice C. Hill, Research Fellow, The Hoover Institution, Stanford University; Former Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Resilience Policy, White House National Security Council.
- Dr. Stephen Flynn, Professor of Political Science and Director, Global Resilience Institute, Northeastern University.
- Takashi Okuma, General Manager, International Department, The General Insurance Association of Japan (GIAJ).
- Nicholas Le Pan, Chair, Financial Services Research Initiative Advisory Board, C.D. Howe Institute; Superintendent of Financial Institutions for Canada (2001-2006).
- Craig Alexander, Senior Vice President and Chief Economist, The Conference Board of Canada.
For more information and to register to attend please click here.
About the Public Policy Forum
The Public Policy Forum works with all levels of government and the public service, the private sector, labour, post-secondary institutions, NGOs and Indigenous groups to improve policy outcomes for Canadians. As a non-partisan, member-based organization, we work from "inclusion to conclusion," by convening discussions on fundamental policy issues and by identifying new options and paths forward. For 30 years, the Public Policy Forum has broken down barriers among sectors, contributing to meaningful change that builds a better Canada.
For more information, please visit: www.ppforum.ca and follow @ppforumca. You can also learn more about us by liking our LinkedIn and Facebook pages.
About Insurance Bureau of Canada
Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, auto and business insurers. Its member companies make up 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. For more than 50 years, IBC has worked with governments across the country to help make affordable home, auto and business insurance available for all Canadians. IBC supports the vision of consumers and governments trusting, valuing and supporting the private P&C insurance industry. It champions key issues and helps educate consumers on how best to protect their homes, cars, businesses and properties.
For media releases and more information, visit IBC's Media Centre at www.ibc.ca. Follow IBC on Twitter @InsuranceBureau and like us on Facebook. If you have a question about home, auto or business insurance, contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC.
If you require more information, spokespeople are available to discuss the details in this media release.
SOURCE Public Policy Forum
For further information: To schedule an interview, please contact: Sabrina Ahmad, Communications Coordinator, PPF, 613-238-7858, ext. 225, firstname.lastname@example.org; For other inquiries, please contact: Andrew McGrath, Manager, Media Relations, IBC, 416-362-2031, ext. 4312, email@example.com