More area residents embracing one-way carsharing with car2go's largest Canadian fleet
VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Sept. 12, 2016 /CNW/ -- car2go, the largest, fastest-growing carsharing company in the world, announced that its Vancouver area's 118,000-plus car2go members can now enjoy making trips in new, more advanced car2go vehicles.
Rolling out today in Vancouver, the new vehicles deliver a smoother, faster, and improved experience with the latest car2go technology. car2go's Vancouver fleet of approximately 1,000 vehicles is the largest in North America and the company will continue to upgrade its fleet through the end of the year.
"We're excited car2go members in Vancouver will be the first in Canada to experience the new car2go," said Chris Iuvancigh, General Manager of car2go Vancouver. "The new car2go is equipped with the technology and features our members have come to love from our 4-door Mercedes-Benz car2gos. Now they'll be able to enjoy these features – including a smoother ride – in a car2go small enough to fit into parking spaces a standard size vehicle would never fit."
What's NEW about the new car2go?
Smoother. Better. Faster. Smarter. Perfect adjectives for our new car2go:
- Unlocks in about five seconds, enabling members to quickly hop in and drive away.
- Bluetooth access allows drivers and passengers to rock out to their own music and make hands-free calls.
- Seat warmers ensure car2go members can warm themselves up quickly on chilly days.
- The new car2go is wider, providing drivers and passengers with a roomier interior and additional trunk storage space.
- A more powerful motor and a new six-speed twinamic dual-clutch transmission provide the smoothest, quickest car2go ride ever.
- An incredibly tight turning radius means the new car2go can almost literally turn on a dime.
- Cutting-edge safety features in the new smart fortwo car2go include a rigid Tridion safety shell made of ultra-high strength steel, crosswind assist that automatically compensates for strong gusts of wind to keep drivers on-course, anti-lock brakes, electronic stability (known as ESP® in most cars), and airbags for drivers and passengers.
The new cars will appear in the car2go app as the "fortwo new," with a photo of the newly designed vehicle so that car2go members can easily find and drive the new cars. Prior generation vehicles will appear in the car2go app as "fortwo."
New UC Berkeley research reveals how one-way carsharing is benefiting Vancouver's quality of life
Vancouver figured prominently in the first-ever one-way carsharing impact study conducted in North America. The research, released by UC Berkeley's Transportation Sustainability Research Center in July, revealed car2go removes vehicles from the road, reduces miles traveled and reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- Each car2go vehicle removed an estimated nine vehicles from Vancouver's roads: more than 8,200 vehicles total.
- In 2015, car2go Vancouver reduced overall vehicle kilometers traveled (VKT) by up to an estimated 60.3 million kilometers.
- Each car2go Vancouver vehicle eliminated up to 11 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.
- car2go Vancouver also prevented up to an estimated 10,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions from polluting Vancouver air.
Lower pricing for all and free registration + free drive time for new Vancouver members
To give members a chance to get a feel for the new car2gos, and make the most of the final days of summer, car2go is offering lower prices for a limited time. Members can hop in any car2go smart car for just $0.35 per minute (regularly $0.41), $10.00 an hour (regularly $14.99) or $50.00 per day (regularly $84.99).
Vancouverites interested in taking a spin in the new car2go can use the promo code UPGRADE for free registration (regularly $35) and a $5.00 drive time credit through September 30, 2016. Members are encouraged to keep up-to-date on all the latest member events and promotions by following @car2goVancouver on Twitter and connecting with car2go on Facebook.
About car2go N.A., LLC
car2go N.A., LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Daimler North America Corporation, offers an innovative mobility solution in rapidly growing urban areas via a carsharing network of eco-friendly smart fortwo vehicles around the world. A flexible and "on demand" mode of transportation, car2go complements existing public transportation by bridging the gaps between the "first and last mile" of a member's commute. Today, car2go's global operation is the largest, fastest-growing carsharing program in the world with more than 1,900,000 registered members and a fleet of over 14,100 vehicles in 30 locations across the globe.
The innovation and environmental sustainability of car2go have earned international acclaim, including TripAdvisor's 2015 "Travelers' Choice" award, "Best Carshare" from the Vancouver Courier, "2015 Best CarSharing Service" from Best of D.C., "2014 Best CarSharing App" from Best of D.C., recognition from the Austin Chamber of Commerce with the "Greater Austin Business Award" for its positive impact on the city's traffic, and the prestigious "2010 EPA Clean Air Excellence Award" from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Further information on car2go is available at car2go.com and car2go.com/NA/en/press/.
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160909/406120
SOURCE car2go N.A., LLC
For further information: Dacyl Armendariz, car2go N.A., LLC (Austin, Texas), 512-580-0499, email@example.com, http://car2go.com