Second Harvest Heroes will take over Toronto to fight the injustice of food waste
TORONTO, Feb. 4, 2015 /CNW/ - Every day in Toronto good food goes to waste while people go hungry. Tomorrow, Second Harvest Heroes, decked out in bright green masks and capes, are taking over the city to kick-off Second Harvest's Hero workplace fundraising campaign and fight the injustice of food waste.
Hundreds of Second Harvest Heroes will span out across the city to spread the word about food rescue and accept donations from generous commuters in TTC stations, PATH locations and local businesses. They are supported by Heroes in more than 100 companies and schools, running fundraisers in their workplaces and classrooms, to support the important work of Second Harvest.
Funds raised through the Hero campaign enable Second Harvest to rescue excess food, that would otherwise go to waste, and deliver that good food to social service agencies across the city, feeding hungry children, adults and seniors.
Be a Second Harvest Hero and visit our partners:
- Balzac's Coffee Roasters – Balzac's will donate $1 for every pound of their new Seasonal Selection Coffee's sold to Second Harvest.
- Caplansky's Delicatessen - Caplansky's will donate $1 for every Rubenesque sandwich ordered during the month of February.
- Dufflet - Dufflet Pastries will donate $1.00 for every 4" Cowboy Cookie sold (price $2.00 each) for the entire month of February at all 3 Dufflet cafe locations.
- Kupfert & Kim – On February 5th, Kupfert & Kim will donate $1 for every box sold. All locations will be participating.
- The Lakeview - From February 5th at 11:00 a.m. until February 12th at 11:00 a.m, the Lakeview Restaurant will be offering, "The B.E.S.T" Sandwich - bacon, melted Havarti, spinach and tomato on dark rye with a grilled chicken breast, fries and salad for $13.50. For every sandwich sold, $1 will be donated to Second Harvest.
- Orderit - For every order placed on February 5th on Orderit.ca the equivalent of one meal will be donated to Second Harvest.
- Salad King - From February 5th-12th, Salad King will round up all bills, and on Hero Day, February 5th, they will donate all food sales to Second Harvest.
- The Rude Boy - For every salad sold during the month of February, The Rude Boy will donate $1 to Second Harvest. They will also match any customer donations up to $250.
- Twist by Roger Mooking – Next time you fly, visit Chopped Canada judge Roger Mooking's new restaurant, Twist by Roger Mooking in Terminal 1 at Toronto Pearson International Airport - where $1 will be donated from the sales of Roasted Fish for the month of February.
And look out for Second Harvest Heroes in TTC stations and the PATH.
The Second Harvest Hero campaign is supported by generous sponsors Nelson Education, South St. Burger, Purolator, Metagraphic Network, Bob's Your Uncle, Charming Media and CP24.
To make a donation or learn more visit SecondHarvestHero.ca.
About Second Harvest:
Second Harvest is a charity that rescues fresh, surplus food, that would otherwise go to waste, from grocery stores, manufacturers, distributers, farmers, restaurants and hotels. The food is delivered daily to more than 200 social service agencies feeding people experiencing hunger across Toronto. Since 1985 Second Harvest has rescued and delivered almost 100 million pounds of good food, thus preventing almost 50 million pounds of greenhouse gases from entering the atmosphere. Second Harvest's food rescue program addresses two issues – hunger relief and waste reduction.
SOURCE Second Harvest
For further information: Tonia Krauser, Director of Communications, Second Harvest, firstname.lastname@example.org, 416.625.6774