Canadians to vote online in September on panel's selection of finalist designs
OTTAWA, April 9, 2015 /CNW/ -To celebrate Canada's upcoming 150th anniversary, the Royal Canadian Mint launched a national contest inviting Canadians to design the 5-cent, 10-cent, 25-cent, one-dollar and two-dollar coins that will circulate in 2017.
To assist in the selection of five finalist designs for each of the circulation coin denominations, the Mint has assembled a number of prominent Canadians representing diverse fields of achievement, as well as a broad range of regional and cultural backgrounds. Their selections will be presented to the public for an online vote in September 2015, which will determine the winners of the My Canada, My Inspiration coin design contest.
The notable Canadians who have accepted the Mint's invitation to assist with the judging of My Canada, My inspiration coin design ideas are:
- The Rt. Hon. Adrienne Clarkson, PC, CC, COM, CMM, CD: Former Governor-General of Canada and journalist;
- Colonel Chris Hadfield (Ret'd): Astronaut and author;
- Rick Hansen: CEO of the Rick Hansen Foundation, Canadian Paralympian and advocate for people with disabilities famed for the Man In Motion World Tour;
- Jan Hudec: Alpine ski racer and Sochi 2014 Winter Games Bronze medallist;
- Craig and Marc Kielburger: Co-founders the Free the Children charity and of the Me to We social enterprise;
- Wab Kinew: Musician, broadcaster and university administrator;
- Deepa Mehta: Film director and screen writer; and
- Joannie Rochette: Figure skater and Vancouver 2010 Winter Games Bronze medallist.
The submission period of the My Canada, My Inspiration coin design contest will run until April 30, 2015. To enter a design and to obtain full contest rules and regulations, visit www.mint.ca/canada150.
About the Royal Canadian Mint
The Royal Canadian Mint is the Crown Corporation responsible for the minting and distribution of Canada's circulation coins. An ISO 9001-2008 certified company the Mint is recognized as one of the largest and most versatile mints in the world, offering a wide range of specialized, high quality coinage products and related services on an international scale. For more information on the Mint, its products and services, visit. www.mint.ca.
SOURCE Royal Canadian Mint
For further information: media are asked to contact: Alex Reeves, Senior Manager, Communications, Royal Canadian Mint, Telephone: 613-949-5777, email@example.com