The smallest BlackBerry smartphone yet, combines stylish design with powerful features
TORONTO, April 26 /CNW/ - Rogers Communications Inc. today announced that the new BlackBerry(R) Pearl(TM) 3G, the smallest BlackBerry smartphone yet, is coming to Canada's reliable network in the coming weeks.
The new BlackBerry Pearl 3G is a smartphone marvel that's as powerful as it is compact. It measures less than two inches wide (50 mm) and weighs only 3.3 ounces (94g), yet it packs support for high-speed 3G (UMTS/HSDPA) networks, Wi-Fi(R) (b/g/n) and GPS with a powerhouse processor that drives visually stunning images on a sharp, high-resolution display. It features an optical trackpad for smooth navigation, dedicated volume and media keys, a 3.2 MP camera with flash and support for up 32 GB of personal content.
"We're excited to welcome the new BlackBerry Pearl 3G to our substantial portfolio of BlackBerry smartphones on the Rogers network," said John Boynton, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, Rogers Communications. "As Canada's reliable network, Rogers customers can take full advantage of the power of the newest BlackBerry Pearl and will now be able to do even more with their smartphone, keeping them connected to what matters most, quickly and easily."
"The new BlackBerry Pearl 3G offers uncompromising performance in a remarkably small package with the social connectivity features that consumers want, including easy access to email and social networking sites as well as popular messaging services, like BlackBerry Messenger. We expect the new BlackBerry Pearl 3G will appeal to a broad range of mobile consumers, including many customers who want to upgrade from a traditional phone without giving up a highly compact and fashionable design," said Carlo Chiarello, Vice President, Handheld Product Management, Research In Motion.
Key features of the new BlackBerry Pearl 3G smartphone from Rogers include:
- Gradient red finish, available in Canada only from Rogers
- Elegant candybar form factor measuring 4.25" x 1.96" x 0.52" (108mm x
50 mm x 13.3 mm) and weighing only 3.3 oz (93 grams)
- 20-key condensed QWERTY keyboard with SureType(R) software that
completes words as the user types, making texting fast and accurate
- 624 Mhz processor with 256 MB Flash memory
- 360x400 sharp-resolution display (238 ppi)
- Optical trackpad that makes navigation fast and smooth, plus a
comfortable keyboard for fast typing
- Media player for videos, pictures and music (music plays up to 30
hours), plus dedicated media keys integrated along top of the handset
- 3.2 MP camera with zoom, autofocus, flash and video recording
- Built-in GPS for location-based applications such as BlackBerry(R)
Maps, as well as photo geotagging
- Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) (first BlackBerry smartphone to support 'n')
- microSD/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 32 GB cards, with a
2 GB card included
- Premium phone features, including voice activated dialing,
speakerphone and Bluetooth(R) (2.1) with support for hands-free
headsets, stereo headsets, car kits including systems that support
the emerging Bluetooth MAP (Message Access Profile) standard and
other Bluetooth accessories
- Access to BlackBerry App World(TM), featuring a broad and growing
catalog of mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry
- Support for BlackBerry(R) Media Sync for easily syncing photos as
well as iTunes(R) and Windows Media(R) Player music with the
- BlackBerry(R) OS 5
- Support for tri-band UMTS/HSDPA and quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM networks
- Removable, rechargeable 1150 mAhr battery that provides approximately
5.5 hours of talk time on 3G networks
Pricing and availability will be announced in the coming weeks. For additional information about Rogers' lineup of BlackBerry smartphones, please visit www.rogers.com. For more information about the BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9100, please visit www.blackberry.com/pearl3G
* Certain music files may not be supported, including files that contain digital rights management technologies. Photo syncing is currently only available for Windows-based PCs.
About Rogers Communications Inc.
Rogers Communications is a diversified Canadian communications and media company. We are Canada's largest provider of wireless voice and data communications services and one of Canada's leading providers of cable television, high-speed Internet and telephony services. Through Rogers Media we are engaged in radio and television broadcasting, televised shopping, magazines and trade publications, and sports entertainment. We are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RCI.A - News and RCI.B - News) and on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RCI - News). For further information about the Rogers group of companies, please visit http://www.rogers.com/.
The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM assumes no obligations or liability and makes no representation, warranty, endorsement or guarantee in relation to any aspect of any third party products or services.
/NOTE TO PHOTO EDITORS: A photo accompanying this release is available at http://photos.newswire.ca. Images are free to accredited members of the media/
SOURCE Rogers Wireless and Cable
For further information: For further information: Media Contacts: Ashleigh Blackmore, Rogers Communications Inc., (416) 935-2676, firstname.lastname@example.org