TORONTO, Dec. 19, 2016 /CNW/ - When travellers check into a hotel in 2060 they can expect it to be on Mars, to feature augmented reality, artificial intelligence, morphing beds, robotics, touchscreen everything, hyper connectivity and much more, as revealed by the Hotels.com® Hotels of the Future study.
Hotels.com celebrates 25 years of accommodation expertise this year and is looking to the future by partnering with renowned futurist Dr James Canton of the Institute for Global Futures on the Hotels.com Hotels of the Future study. It uncovers how the travel and hotel experience will be different in one year, 25 years and as far ahead as 2060.
The way travellers choose a destination, book a trip, travel there and the hotel experience will be dramatically different in the future. Hotels.com is already one of the technology leaders in the travel industry but these new forecasts are where super-tech meets super-science.
Dr. James Canton from The Institute for Global Futures, a leading think tank that identifies emerging consumer trends explains, "Trends in technology, science, energy and entertainment will vastly change the hotel experience for travellers. The emergence of a new travel design science, which is a combination of using big data, artificial intelligence and predicting travellers' dreams, will mean the whole travel experience will change.
The future of travel is really exciting, as we'll see predictive travel analytics anticipating what consumers want from their experience before booking. The hotel booking itself will be helped along by artificial intelligence software agents, using data mining and intuitive computing. The new travel design science will help create highly personalized in-stay experiences. And it doesn't end when you check out, because new analytics will also ensure lifelong travel fulfillment."
Hotels.com has worked with Dr. James Canton to identify the top trends for what hotels of the future will be like by 2060:
- RoboButlers - These autonomous robots can be designed online before arrival and can be programmed with special talents, skills, languages and information to help make the hotel stay exceptional. They will do everything from greeting guests at the airport, offering gourmet food service, room makeup, companionship, education, entertainment, business advice and concierge services.
- Morphing hotels made-to-order – This is the next generation of made-to-order. Hotels will self-assemble and morph from one design to another based on consumer's votes. These crowdsourced hotels will use nanotechnology and machines that can self-assemble environments, buildings or even entire physical worlds. This could all be possible in the next 20 years.
- 3D Makers in every hotel room – Taking luggage on holiday will be a thing of the past. 3D Printers will transform travel, specifically the in-room experience. 3D Makers will generate items guests desire such as a new pair of shoes, clothes, pharmaceuticals and even computers or wearable phones in real time. 3D shopping will be available, where consumers download from the cloud, retail goods that they want to design on demand.
- Neuro-Dreaming – The definition of getting a good night's sleep will be changing in the future. A hotel bed will no longer just be a place to enjoy a comfortable night's sleep, as future travellers will be able to choose their own dreams before dozing off. Hotels will give guests access to neurotechnology to program their dreams and they can choose a 'dream theme' to either relax, enhance, learn or enjoy. Romantic adventure or space exploration – it'll be up to you!
- Wellness and longevity hotel spas - The next generation of wellness spas will be mind blowing. The hotel spa of the future is based on DNA analysis and promoting longevity. You will receive personalized prevention treatments and prediction and health enhancement programs designed to refresh your health, your fitness and understand your future health risks. These will use the latest genetic medicine treatments, mind refreshing drugs, brain fitness and prevent disease. Massage and mud baths will of course still be available.
- Airport transfer of the future – One of the most stressful parts of any vacation is getting from the airport to your hotel. Travellers will be pleased to hear that the future of airport transfers is high tech and high speed. Future transports include self-driving pods, RoboFlying cars, which will help you, avoid traffic, and larger developments such as the Hyper Loop – supersonic air travel, covering hundreds of kilometres in seconds.
- DNA mobile payments—DNA is the ultimate personal identification and will be used to confirm identify in making travel bookings and payments online. When you check into your hotel, all that will be needed is DNA fingerprints to confirm who you are and check-in is complete!
- EcoHotels on the next level – Many hotels already focus on sustainability and being eco- friendly but in the future every hotel will be fully sustainable. They will excel in energy efficiency, buy and sell energy off the Renewable Energy Grid, use safe and clean products only, utilize the latest solar and geothermal technology and have a carbon neutral footprint. EcoHotels will also be socially aware, with products and workers all producing a positive social impact in the community.
- Gourmet genomics in hotel restaurants - Hotel restaurants will start to feature food designed for the individual's palate, all based on DNA analysis. Before arriving at your hotel, the diet and nutrition menu will be designed based on your DNA and optimized for your health. The menu is created to improve health, nutrition and fitness, but the food will still be gourmet and delicious. Designer food, made by top chefs and won't make you gain weight or ruin your diet!
- Immersive-themed hotels - Hotels in the future will have themes based on immersive worlds. Hotels will become entertainment experiences that we can only imagine today. Travellers can expect a fully interactive live event location, where the hotel is in character with in-world. Consumers could interact in real time or by virtual reality. Imagine a Call of Duty World enabling combat gaming competitions between networked hotel communities, a Roman World with chariot races or a Renaissance World complete with costumes and customized androids, story lines, drama and action.
Hotels.com L.P. operates Hotels.com, a leading online accommodation booking website with properties ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favorites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the perfect stay. Special apps for mobile phones and tablets can also be downloaded enabling customers to book on the go with access to 20,000 last minute deals.
© 2016 Hotels.com, LP. All rights reserved. Hotels.com and the Hotels.com logo are trademarks of Hotels.com, LP. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. CST #2083949-50
About Institute of Global Futures
The Institute for Global Futures is a leading think tank that advises Global Fortune 500 companies on emerging trends in innovation and technology that impact consumers, markets and society. Futureguru.com
energi PR for Hotels.com in Canada
Phone: (416) 425-9143 x 205
Hotels.com (also known in Canada as Hotels.ca) is a leading online accommodation booking brand. Through the Expedia, Inc. global network of websites, Hotels.com, LP connects travellers with approximately 220,000 properties around the world, ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favourites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the...