OTTAWA, Sept. 29, 2015 /CNW/ - Timbercreek Communities is pleased to announce the start of the next phase of their ongoing revitalization of the Heron Gate neighbourhood in the south end of Ottawa. This includes redeveloping a section of Sandalwood Drive to increase the number and type of rental suites available, bringing more units into the tight Ottawa rental market.
Heron Gate has undergone several changes in ownership over the last decade, with very little spent on redevelopment or revitalization until Timbercreek took full ownership of the entire property in September of 2013. Since then, Timbercreek has spent over $20 million in capital expenditures to improve the living conditions of residents, a number which is expected to increase to $30 million by the end of 2015. Renovations have taken place at numerous buildings and include:
- Improved safety and security through the installation of 'fob' entry, additional security cameras along with better lighting
- Structural upgrades to balconies, roofs, windows and parking garages
- Building system upgrades including plumbing, HVAC, electric and new, more efficient water distribution systems
- Lifestyle improvements through common area upgrades, the creation of numerous fitness centres and public spaces
- Creation and donation of meeting space to local community groups, such as the Catholic Centre for Immigrants, Just Food, At Risk Youth Drop-In Programs, Literacy Programs and the South-East Ottawa Community Health Centre
"This redevelopment project will create a better community by providing a wider variety and number of residential units that will be affordable to a wide range of incomes," says Jeff Hutchison, Managing Director, Asset Management of Timbercreek Communities. "We're committed to this area for the long term and want to see a vibrant, safe and diverse community for this area. To that end, we're working closely with our Residents to make this time of transition as smooth as possible."
Residents in the affected area who will be required to relocate will be offered alternate accommodation within Heron Gate, where possible, as well as financial compensation for the disruption that this change will cause. Redevelopment is scheduled to begin in early 2016 with completion expected in late 2017.
About Timbercreek Communities
Timbercreek Communities owns and operates more than 16,000 quality residential suites across Canada. Properties are located in over 27 cities throughout Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia and include a range of apartment styles. For more information please visit www.timbercreekcommunities.com.
SOURCE Timbercreek Communities
Image with caption: "Timbercreek Communities (CNW Group/Timbercreek Communities)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20150929_C5528_PHOTO_EN_509090.jpg
For further information: Suzanne Valiquet, Momentum Planning & Communications, Tel: 613.222.7839, firstname.lastname@example.org