OTTAWA, May 3 /CNW Telbec/ - The Honourable Stockwell Day, President of the Treasury Board and Minister for the Asia-Pacific Gateway, today announced that the Government will review close to $35 billion in spending in order to find an estimated $1.7 billion in savings. The results of this review will be released in Budget 2011.
"As we embark upon our road to deficit reduction, it is essential for the government to live within its means and identify substantial savings," said Minister Day. "Strategic reviews are about reinvesting funds from low performing programs into priorities of Canadians."
Strategic reviews are designed to ensure that government programs are efficient, effective and achieving results Canadians expect. Since 2007, the Government has identified savings of $1.3 billion through these reviews.
"We have a responsibility to Canadian taxpayers to spend their money prudently and where it will do the most good. This is exactly what we are doing," added Minister Day.
This year, the following government organizations (13) will be under review:
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
- Canada Economic Development Agency for Quebec Regions
- Department of National Defence
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (excludes Labour
- Industry Canada
- Marine Atlantic Inc.
- Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions
- Office of Infrastructure of Canada
- Privy Council Office
- Public Works and Government Services Canada
- Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
- Western Economic Diversification Canada
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN ANY PRINTED VERSION AND THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THIS NEWS RELEASE, THE ELECTRONIC VERSION WILL PREVAIL.
TTY (Telecommunications device for the hearing impaired) - (613) 957-9090
This news release is available online at: www.tbs-sct.gc.ca.
SOURCE Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
For further information: For further information: Mélisa Leclerc, Director of Communications, Office of the President of the Treasury Board, (613) 952-5051; Media Relations, Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat, (613) 957-2640