TORONTO, Feb. 3, 2017 /CNW/ - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Michael Garron Hospital (formerly Toronto East General Hospital), a division of Toronto East Health Network, have issued a request for proposals (RFP) to three companies to design, build and finance the new patient care tower project at the hospital.
Teams invited to submit proposals were selected based on their design and construction capability, experience, and the financial capacity to deliver a project of this size and complexity.
Based on a fair and open request for qualifications process that began in June 2016, the following companies have been invited to submit formal proposals:
EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare (EDIH)
- Design Build: EllisDon Design Build Inc.
- Design Team: B+H Architects and Diamond Schmitt Architects
- Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital
- Design Build: PCL Constructor Canada Inc.
- Design Team: Parkin Architects Limited and WZMH Architects
- Financial Advisor: TD Securities
Walsh Toronto East Health Partners
- Design Build: Walsh Canada
- Design Team: Perkins + Will and Cumulus Architects
- Financial Advisor: Walsh Infrastructure Canada Ltd.
Teams will have approximately six months to prepare RFP submissions. Once the submissions are received, IO and Michael Garron Hospital will evaluate them and select the successful bidder. The winning bidder is expected to be announced in November 2017, with construction expected to begin in early 2018.
The project involves the construction of a new eight-story patient care tower and three-story podium, as well as demolition of some existing wings and selected renovations to the existing hospital at the connection points. Approximately 550,000 square feet of the hospital will be redeveloped, including:
- Replacement of the oldest beds in the medical/surgical and rehabilitation units
- Replacement of the mental health inpatient units for adult and child/youth care
- Consolidation of ambulatory care and ambulatory procedures
- Creation of two levels of underground parking and a new main entrance
- Accommodation of other administrative and support services needed to support the clinical services
The project also involves renovation of approximately 100,000 square feet of select areas within the existing hospital.
The redevelopment project will enable the delivery of efficient, accessible, high-quality patient care, while replacing some of the oldest spaces in the hospital.
- IO and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care are working closely with Michael Garron Hospital to redevelop the hospital, which will remain publicly owned, controlled and accountable.
- The project is expected to achieve a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Silver certification for design excellence and sustainability.
- The project is being delivered using IO's Alternative Financing and Procurement model, an innovative way of financing and procuring large, complex public infrastructure projects, with a track record of being 96 per cent on budget to date.
- Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.
Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care
"I am excited that we are now one step closer to an expanded state-of-the-art hospital that will provide more of the high-quality health care that east Toronto residents deserve. Our government is committed to investing in infrastructure projects that improve the lives of Ontarians, including improving health care in the community."
Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Infrastructure
"The Michael Garron Hospital redevelopment demonstrates the importance of making good infrastructure investments, so that Ontarians can access improved patient care and the best facilities. Better health care for our residents is a priority for our government."
Sarah Downey, President and Chief Executive Officer, Michael Garron Hospital
"This is the next step in our transformation of community care for east Toronto residents and beyond. We at Michael Garron hospital are inspired by the passionate belief that a healthy community is a strong community. Michael Garron Hospital's redeveloped campus will be designed as a welcoming and supportive space that promotes health and wellness. It will also help support our mission to deliver exemplary care, develop innovative partnerships and mentor the next generation of healthcare providers. Together we are building for a healthier community, helping people live to their full potential – mentally, spiritually, physically and socially."
Ehren Cory, Divisional President, Project Delivery, Infrastructure Ontario
"We are pleased that the project has reached this major milestone in our proven AFP procurement process. We look forward to selecting a winning team to deliver on this redevelopment and expansion that will benefit generations of Toronto residents."
Michael Garron Hospital, a division of Toronto East Health Network
Building Ontario: Our Infrastructure Plan
YouTube – Infrastructure Ontario
Disponible en français
SOURCE Infrastructure Ontario
For further information: Adam Cotter, Infrastructure Ontario, 416-212-0637; Hannah Ward, Michael Garron Hospital, 416-469-6580 x 3593